1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most overrated Beatles song...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by AreaMan, Aug 3, 2014.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Fuck.

Eleanor Rigby dieditor.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Here's a clue I need to get off my chest: The walrus was Pete Best.

3. da man

da man Well-Known Member

"Get Back" is my favorite Beatles song. I love the line, "All the girls around her say she's got it coming/But she gets it while she can."

Among others listed on this thread as overrated, I also love "Let It Be," "Yellow Submarine" (I probably like that one more than I should because I love the movie), "Michelle," "Ticket to Ride" and all the really early stuff.

On the other hand, I cannot stand "Got to Get You into My Life." A truly wretched piece of music.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Didn't everyone think that?

I still think it is.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Yeah, "Get Back" is probably my favorite Beatles song.
    Wish they had done more like it.

6. Starman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K1P9hAX4JY

7. Key

Key Well-Known Member

One from Paul: "Get Back"
    One from John: "Revolution"

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

"Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". Yes, I know it's about LSD and that was a really innovative and groovy thing to sing about in the 60s, but now it's an instant dial-changer for me.

9. Starman

Although the thread specifies their "big hits," there is a fair number of B's songs which are generally agreed by consensus to, yes, pretty much suck:

We'll start with the 1964 cover, "Mr. Moonlight," usually named as their worst song overall.

Also in the running:

George's "Old Brown Shoe," John's "Run For Your Life" (he personally disavowed and ripped it in many interviews) and Paul's "Your Mother Should Know," a pale unfocused ripoff of "When I'm 64."

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I like Old Brown Shoe & When I'm 64, and am stunned by Run for Your Life, which if you don't pay attention is a pretty good song.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

For me it's "Michelle" and it's not close. I debated whether it should count since people generally seem to loathe it, but it's the only Beatles song to ever win the Grammy for "Song of the Year." It's awful.

I think the white album as a whole is pretty overrated, too. "Sgt. Pepper," too, but only because it's rated so highly. It's frequently ranked as the best rock album of all time, and I'm not sure it's even in their top 5.

12. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Yeah, I discounted "Yesterday" "Michelle" and "The Long and Winding Road" on account of they all suck.

I always liked "Old Brown Shoe" and "Run for Your Life."

Draft saved Draft deleted