1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most overrated baseball player of all time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by yourbuddy, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Not sure I agree, but Lou Brock's name often gets tossed around when statheads mention overrated players.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Nolan Ryan, with all these whacko detractors, is one of the most underrated players.

3. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

i worked with a guy many years back who said roberto clemente was one of the most overrated players of all time.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Players who steal lots of bases but don't have great OBPs usually get racked by the sabrheads. Tho I think it's pretty lame to rack someone who reaches the equivalent of triple-figure doubles.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Cheap shot.

You don't make somebody overrated when their body breaks down. For the short time he was healthy, he had stuff which a handful of pitchers EVER could boast of.

This might be blasphemy from anyone within shouting distance of the Chesapeake, but I think an earlier poster was on the right track with Ripken.

6. yourbuddy

yourbuddy New Member

Ryan led his team in wins only six times in his long career:

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Yeah, alright, this is where I stop treating you like a functioning adult.

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

The Cy Young thing isn't 100% drop-dead conclusive, but it does indicate that Ryan rarely had the type of seasons that he simply had to be considered one of the best pitchers in the league. And while consistency is good, you need absolute domination to be considered great. Clemens is probably the best pitcher since WWII because he combines both. I hate the man with a burning passion, but I defy any HOF voter to justify not voting for him (and not voting for him to prevent him from being the first 100% man doesn't count).

Lets take the incredible number of strikeouts out of the equation for a moment.

Pitcher A's career numbers
    324-256, 3.26 ERA, 5,282 IP, 2.66 K/BB ratio, 1.142 WHIP, 23 year career

Pitcher B's career numbers
    324-292, 3.19 ERA, 5,386 IP, 2.04 K/BB ratio, 1.247 WHIP, 27 year career

These pitchers were contemporaries with similiary long careers. In almost trade-off, Don Sutton (A) and Nolan Ryan (B) are basically equal. And Sutton was a borderline HOF'er. Which is what Ryan should be considered. He should be considered the equal of guys like Sutton and Gaylord Perry: pitchers who were very good (but rarely great) over a long period of time. Does Ryan get credit for all of the no-hitters? Yeah. No-hitters are generally feats of luck (which is why, say, Fergie Jenkins doesn't have one, but Bud Smith does), but accumulating enough of them shows some degree of skill. But its not the same as Koufax, where his gems corrolate to his period of amazing dominance.

In short, is Nolan a Hall of Famer? Probably. Is he a 99-percent of the vote, top 10 pitchers who ever lived good? No f'n way.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I don't know, Tex. I certainly don't think he's the MOST overrated, but it's at least an arguable point. He had a lot of mediocre seasons mixed in there for an "all-time great."

10. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I said this wouldn't end well, and it won't. If anybody told me in a bar Nolan Ryan was overrated, I'd probably hit them (accidently on purpose of course) in a tender area with a pool cue. I'm having those urges now.

And Pope, no bringing nonsense like logic into this discussion  :mad: ;) :D

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Don't hit the coda who's at the bar.

12. yourbuddy

yourbuddy New Member

What is your argument for Ryan being on of the 10 greatest pitchers of all-time?  Sure, he threw seven no-hitters - but that's only a few games.  I'm looking at his entire career, and I can't see how you can even put him in the top 20 pitchers ever.  

Draft saved Draft deleted