1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most overrated baseball player of all time

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by yourbuddy, Jul 10, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Interesting. I'd say you'd have to be rated to be overrated, but Van Poppel began his career with unmatched hype...none of which he came close to meeting.

Edit: But I'd have to go with cougar on Gregg Jefferies. Spoiled little turd never came close to meeting his potential.

2. yourbuddy

yourbuddy New Member

I meant overrated, not overhyped, BitterYH. :)

3. wheateater

wheateater Member

Jeff Frye.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is the 2nd reference to "turd" tonight, and I haven't seen that word in years. Weird.

5. flaming_mo

flaming_mo Guest

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I think answering the question involves picking someone who played a career, and most people considered it a really good or even great career, but you think it wasn't as good as touted. Not a Jeffries or Van Poppel, who didn't live up to early hype.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

What about our esteemed SportsJournalists.com colleague Turd Ferguson?

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Point taken. I just remember a whole summer hearing about Van Poppel and how he was the next big thing. I think I was 11 at the time and I lived in Michigan. His Upper Deck rookie card cost like $15 at that time. That's what I was going by.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Completely disagree about Nolan Ryan.

For the purposes of this discussion I will limit it to Hall of Famers. Guy who always kind of bugged me was Cal Ripkin, Jr. Don't get me wrong. He was a great player, a symbol of the game and he redefined the shortstop position, leading the way for taller, more powerful hitters like Tejada, Jeter and ARod. But the memory of him for people always seemed greater than his actual performance, in part due to his streak. He was usually around a .270 hitter. A few years, he was more like a .250 hitter. He could drive in runs, but was typically good for 80 to 90 RBIs, rarely more than 100, and never big 130+ RBI numbers.. And his home run totals ranged from high teens to mid 20s most seasons, good numbers, but not a true slugger's numbers. He was a terrific player, solid fundamentally, and had longevity, but I think he has gone down in people's memories as having been greater than he really was. Even with 21 seasons, he really didn't hit any of the typical HOF milestones--was well short of 500 HRs, was well short of 1500 RBIs and was a career .275 hitter.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That wasn't "Tard" Ferguson? ;D

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

There was that whole 3,000 hits thing, you know.

And with 3,000+ hits and 400+ HRs, Ripken joins a club that only Yaz, Winfield, Aaron, Mays, Musial, Eddie Murray and Palmeiro* are a part of.

Not to mention, you have to understand the era Ripken peaked in, say, 1983-1992, had exactly one 50-home run hitter in that entire decade -- Cecil Fielder, twice. So for Ripken to average 25 HRs a year during that era is just as impressive as somebody who averages 30-35 now. It's not league-leading, but it's still impressive.

Plus, Ripken also revolutionized the profile of a shortstop, which until that time had been dominated by the likes of the Rabbit Maranvilles, Frankie Frisches, Phil Rizzutos, great-fielding, no-power types. Only Honus Wagner was more prolific a hitter at shortstop until Ripken (take Ernie Banks out of the discussion because he stopped playing SS in 1962) and there was nobody even close to Ripken's size to play that position until he came along. Now all the top shortstops are that size -- because Ripken paved the way.

[/ripken defender to the death]

12. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Agree 100 percent. I'll take Alan Trammell any day of the week.

Draft saved Draft deleted