1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Over-rated baseball player today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 26, 2007.

?

Simple: which player is not as good right now as his reputation makes him out to be?

1. Barry Zito

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. J.D. Drew

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. Andruw Jones

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Roger Clemens

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. Tim Hudson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Ichiro Suzuki

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  7. Bobby Abreu

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  8. Carlos Beltran

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  9. Alfonso Soriano

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  10. Curt Schilling

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  11. Dontelle Willis

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  12. Scott Rolen

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  13. Mark Buehrle

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  14. Eric Chavez

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  15. Ivan Rodriguez

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  16. Other

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

He really should produce a lot more runs than he does, but I don't think he's overrated because his flaws are so well known. And he's 27 (or 28?), so he can still mature and fix those strikeout and RBI numbers.

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Jeter isn't the god that the New York media makes him out to be, but he's close enough that I wouldn't call him the most overrated.

My vote goes to Zito. He's basically living off two good seasons, 17-8 in 2001 and 23-5 in '02. Since then it's been 14-12, 11-11, 14-13, 16-10 with ERAs mostly around 4.00. At best, he's a No. 2 starter, maybe a No. 3. Nobody has a bigger gap between reputation and performance than this guy.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The list of options needs more Yankees -- Jeter, for one.

4. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Who is rating Zito so high? He's completely overpaid, but it's not like I'm hearing him brought into discussions about the best pitchers in the majors.

5. statrat

statrat Member

I would argue that Dunn belongs on an underrated list. The guy routinely hits close to 40 HR, draws near 100 walks, drives in 100 runs, and has a high on base percentage every year and has a career average OPS+ average of 128 over his career. Overrated? Hardly.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

maura says we're cool, my brother! 8)

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

He wouldn't be so overpaid if he weren't overrated. The Giants broke the bank for him because they needed to make a big splash, to get a "name." He really shouldn't be a "name." He's a pretty good starting pitcher, nothing more.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Of the names mentioned, Clemens is the most overrated because he's not nearly as good as he and others think.

But of those not mentioned, and I don't care what his stats say, it's Derek Jeter.

With the way ESPN drools over Jeter, he should be hitting .390 with 50 HR. Yes, he's very good, but he's also overrated.

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

How is JD Drew overrated? Overpaid, sure. But I don't hear anybody rating him high at all, minus Theo and co.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Can I change my vote?

Clemens. Yes, definitely Clemens.

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Overrated also comes down to the contracts that the players get. Hence J.D. Drew with the money he got from the Dodgers and Zito from the Giants, and soon to be Pat Burrell from the Phillies.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No. That's like saying Eric Snow or Kevin Ollie are overrated because Billy King was dumb enough to throw money at them.

Draft saved Draft deleted