1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most memorable TV moments

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Jul 13, 2012.

1. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

When I first heard about this survey, I sort of fixated on the word "moment," and one that quickly came to mind was Jim McKay saying, "They're all gone" when he reported that the Israeli Olympians had been killed in 1972. There was something so gripping about those few seconds and the way he delivered that line. Pitch perfect.

And I would also give a strong vote to the Apollo 11 moon landing.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

USA-USSR hockey was on tape delay for everyone not near the Canadian border (CTV broadcast it live). Kind of disqualifies it from being a TV "moment" (although I guess those who watched who didn't know the outcome would disagree).

On the moon landing theme . . . I would say the first images of Earth from space and the Genesis reading from Apollo 8 were memorable TV moments.

And while more than just a "moment", the early days of the Iran hostage crisis were such good TV that they spawned the long-running "Nightline" show.

Draft saved Draft deleted