1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most media-friendly NFL teams

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mikebb13, Dec 21, 2006.

1. I read in the PFWA newsletter than Favre only talks to the media every other week. What an asshole. Doesn't do conference calls either.

I'll echo the sentiment that the Packers PR staff is pretty awful. They're not as bad as the Raiders, but they're pretty bad.

2. The Patriots are awful. Anyone who believes otherwise is either delusional or was very lucky in a lone experience. Imagine covering a football team without ever getting to talk to an assistant.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Harvey's got an Ivy League pedigree and has been a director of media relations in three leagues. He's worked in New York and I think he was awarded for his work with the Cavaliers. He's got his fans, I guess. But it's no longer possible to separate him from Saban. The two truly work together. It was Saban and not Harvey that shaped a toxic media culture with the Dolphins, much moreso than usual, but Harvey doesn't help. And nobody wants to hear that crap about Harvey just doing his job. He's supposed to be a professional, too.

4. I've had very good luck with Harvey, but the Dolphins beat writers hate him and when the local guys hate you, it's probably a sign the guy is an asshole.

Another great PR guy is Denver's Jim Saccomano. Shanahan is a prick, but Saccomano does a great job despite it.

The Packers haven't been the same since Lee Remmel became the team historian.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

i don't believe harvey was considered a prick by dolphins beat writers until saban got to miami. do the math, people. :eek: :eek: :eek:

6. Harvey is/was the absolute best PR person with whom I ever dealt. Period. No second-place.
    If Saban's wrecked his image, then Saban should go to attitude hell immediately.

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Saban already is in attitude hell.

8. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Perhaps someone can confirm or deny--I was told that on many days in Dolphins' training camp this season, the team [read Saban] would decide which players would be made available. Media didn't even have a choice. :eek:

If true, that's more Draconian than the Jets' training camp access, which is really saying something.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

First of all, isn't "media friendly" and NFL team" an oxymoron?

Secondly, having known Harvey since he was a college kid on the stats crew at Madison Square Garden and having seen him endure the Steinbrenner years with great class and patience, I'm putting the Dolphins situation completely on Saban, whom I have never dealt with but whom I have heard is one of the biggest assholes ever to walk a sideline ...and that's saying something.

10. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Hey, I wasn't blaming Harvey, I was blaming Saban, dickhead. :D

Seriously, you raise a good point. As noble as it would be for Harvey to tell Saban he doesn't want to do it his way and he's not going to do it his way, the reality is there isn't a union for media relations/sports information directors. So if Harvey tells Saban that, Harvey's looking for a job tomorrow. Doesn't matter how long he's been in the biz.

11. Prior to Saban, and prior to Steinbrenner, Harvey worked for that lunatic Ted Stepien with the Cavs.
    Isn't he due to work for the Von Trapp family or something?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wow, mix in a stint with the Wirtzes and he'd have the grand slam of shitty pro PR department gigs.

Draft saved Draft deleted