1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most Insufferable Holiday Hit.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Fenian_Bastard, Dec 19, 2006.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Feliz Navidad is awful. Truly awful.

3. Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell

Ronnie "Z-Man" Barzell Active Member

"Wonderful Christmas Time" by Paul McCartney makes me want to burn things.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My hand is raised high in the air...

5. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

I agree with Christmas Shoes, although Ringo's Christmas song from back in the day won't make anyone forget O Holy Night.

6. tommyp

tommyp Member

That damn McCartney/Wings song. Now that it's already been mentioned, I can't get it out of my head, even though I have yet to hear it this season. Thanks.

7. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

What I can't figure out is why stations are playing it like it's a Christmas song. It's not a happy song, it's not a traditional song, it's not a good song. It's about some dude who got dumped and happens to mention Christmas in the title. If someone writes a song about taking a giant dump Christmas morning, they'll probably put that in the heavy holiday rotation too.

8. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

As the horse-racing prognosticators say, Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer towers over the rest of this field for its sheer awfulness. Awful concept, awful voices, awful lyrics, awful music. Nothing redeeming at all.

For honorable mention, I agree with many of the selections already noted.
    Last Christmas just sucks, and as Rufino said, it really shouldn't be a Christmas song.
    Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime blows, too. The 'ding-dong, ding-dong' parts are vomit-inducing.
    I think Jose Feliciano meant well, but as Baloo said, more than two lines of lyrics would've been nice.

What pisses me off is that the local station that went to all-Christmas the Saturday before Thanksgiving just about NEVER plays any of the few good songs, such as The Waitresses' Christmas Wrapping, Greg Lake's I Believe In Father Christmas, The Pretenders' 2000 Miles, etc.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Screw you guys who hate Last Christmas. That song is a worthy holiday staple.

Suburbanite, I heard 2000 Miles the other day at the mall. That song always gets me...and reminds me of Steve Sanders looking for his real mom at Christmas. Sniff, sniff.

10. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Which did he find first--his real Mom or his real hair?

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

How dare you, sir? I'm sorry, but after the daydreaming scene Clark has while looking out the window during Christmas Eve, that song will always stir, shall we say, nice feelings.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Must've been his mom. I don't think he ever found his real hair, did he?

Draft saved Draft deleted