1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most important beat at a newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Feb 4, 2008.

1. scalper

scalper Member

Depends on the editor or ME running the show. If he or she used to cover city hall, it's city hall. If he or she was the Washington correspondent or the cops reporter, it's that.
    Everything's political.
    Count on it.

2. City Hall. It affects everyone in some way. Endless supply of stories. Always the chance to uncover something scummy or corrupt.

I have two kids and care about their schooling, but I'd rather have battery acid poured in my eyes than read a week's worth of education stories.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

What if your editor was a desker? Then the most important beat would be...

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What if your editor wasn't even in the business before becoming editor?

5. Local Kiwanis Club meeting beat. Definitely. Discuss.

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Do any papers have that as a beat? That would probably fall under a "community" beat, which could be considered most important.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That'd be one of the leftover stories I send student writers.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I don't think it's easily defined, but I'd agree that it varies by location, and probably varies from day to day. Which would lead me to the "whichever one draws the most readers." As unseemly as we think that is, if that means it's the Brittney Spears beat, then that's what it means.

9. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Asked a few people I know who work at both city newspapers and they said government/city hall. Education comes after crime.

10. It's an interesting discussion because I'm sure that there's a generally understood hierarchy in news just as there is in sports, i.e. preps ---> colleges ---> pros ---> columns/enterprise

Draft saved Draft deleted