1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most exciting sporting event you've attended

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

[​IMG]

and here's an excerpt from the AP story

2. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

I have two: A somewhat meaningless 12-inning game between the Dodgers and Astros in 2001. I choose it because I spent four-plus hours as the stat man for Vin Scully. The best part was when he told me to stop calling him "Mr. Scully." "I'm simply Vin," he said. To sit one on one and watch a national treasure work at the top of his game can never be topped. My late dad was a Dodgers fan, and I got the feeling he was pretty jealous on his son that night.

*Being on the field as my oldest nephew and his high school football team (La Marque) win the Texas Class 4A, Division II state title in 2006. To see he and his teammates celebrate was and is a moment I will treasure.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And 99.9 percent of the population would not have added the word simply, and that one word gives the sentence an entirely new depth.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

100 metre final at Athens games

electric atmosphere

best 10 seconds in sport

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I've posted this before. It's probably a better fit on this thread and it still stands:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

But that play did lead to one of the great SI photos of all time:

It shows the Delta Center fans behind the basket as Jordan rises to take the game-winning shot. Dozens of Jazz fans are covering their heads with their hands, except for one lone kid in a Bulls jerseys, who's standing right in the middle with both arms raised.

One other game I forgot to mention earlier, the 1998 Alabama-LSU football game in Baton Rouge. I was with my girlfriend and her sister (then an LSU student) in the LSU student section.

LSU led 16-7 with 3:30 to play, and Herb Tyler fired into the end zone for Abram Booty to try and give the Tigers a commanding lead.

The ball hits Booty in the hands and dozens of LSU fans rise and throw their drinks in the air in celebration. By the time the cups hit concrete/grass, Alabama DB Marcus Spencer is running the ball back to midfield.

Alabama scores on a 50-yard wheel-route pass to Shaun Alexander to pull within 16-14. The Tide gets the onsides kick back, and Andrew Zow throws the winning touchdown pass to Quincy Jackson, with the ball bouncing off LSU DB Robert Davis' hands for a TD for the second time in the game.

Alabama gets the 2-point conversion and wins 22-16. The most unlikely finish to a game I've ever seen.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Covered that game -- loudest I ever heard the fans at the field house. I also recall driving up to Storrs (after a night desk shift) following their NIT victory to do a fan reaction story. Big crowd outside waiting for the bus: "We're No. 65!"

8. Colonel Angus

Colonel Angus Member

Hopelessly provincial and fanboyish, but I'm a Tulsa alum, so go screw yourself:

Tulsa 24, Oklahoma State 23 (Sept. 9, 1995) Oklahoma State led 23-3 with 10:36 remaining in the game, but Tulsa quarterback Troy DeGar overcame a broken left hand and a brief benching to lead the Hurricane back with three straight scoring drives in the games final minutes. He threw touchdown passes of 25 yards to Jeff Utter at the 5:41 mark, 19 yards to Marshall Gordon at the 4:12 mark following the recovery of an on-side kick, and seven yards with 16 seconds left on the clock. The final score came after Tulsa took the ball at its own 32-yard line with 1:41 remaining. Tulsa's defense forced OSU to punt holding the Cowboys to three-and-out.

source: http://tulsahurricane.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/100405aad.html

Draft saved Draft deleted