1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most ESPN Zone Sports Bars to Close

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

You are. The one on Disney's Boardwalk is the ESPN Club. There's only one of those, and it does very well. The NYC one will be closed.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I thought their menu items did them in.

Baby Back Back Back Ribs with a side of Tampa Bay Bucs camp circa 1983 were just too esoteric and wonkish. So were some of the mixed drinks, like Gary Miller Puts Out Cleveland's Fire.

The Dickie V Special ... alfredo sauce on Special K cereal was just flat out weird.

I also think customers were put off by the Red Sox-Yankees Kickers, a seven-day-a-week all you could eat item where the patrons had no say as to how much food they were given or when ESPN Zone would stop giving it to them.

I didn't care for the Sexual Harrassburgers. Ha, ha, ESPN. A slab of meat inside two buns. That women customers got a free sausage didn't help.

And I REFUSED to order the Sean Salisbury cocktail wieners, though I understand they're very popular in the lingerie football league.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Nothing beats going to a generic sports bar/overpriced restaurant.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I've been to the one in Orlando and D.C. and I think I stopped by the one in Vegas.
    I don't have a strong feeling one way or another. I liked them well enough, I guess, but don't have any great sense of loss that they're closing.
    I do remember the one in Orlando had small TVs mounted at stall in the toilet, which I thought was pretty cool.

Where will they film PTI and Sports Reporters?????

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Nice...you had me going on the first one.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

They should hurry up and throw the Strasburger on the menu before they all close down. :)

Actually, I saw an ad for the ESPNZone in DC last night at Nats Park. I turned to my buddy and told him I loved going to ESPNZone -- when I was 20.

The food actually was never bad, though.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Are you serious? Wow! I stopped in one of these . . . can't remember which airport . . . and everything was atrocious; staff wouldn't change a TV to a college football game between two undefeated teams (in late October), food tasted as though it was prepared the week before.

But to get back to the original post, losing ESPN Sports Zones is nothing to shed a tear over.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

One of the few growth industries in America is the sign makers for OFFICE SPACE AVAILABLE and RETAIL SPACE AVAILABLE.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

But, but ... where will the HS football players go on National Signing Day? Think of the children!

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Went to the NY restaurant. Wasn't great, wasn't horrible. Just mediocre.

But don't get me started on the NY Planet Hollywood.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Ate there a couple times. Overpriced and mediocre. Not a bad place to watch a game on a college football Saturday or a NFL Sunday, but not worth it.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Never ate there, but the Times Square locale was always good when you had to hit the necessary. I loved the TVs over the urinals.

Draft saved Draft deleted