1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most ESPN Zone Sports Bars to Close

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 8, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I went to one a couple times. Too crowded and somewhat overpriced, but I thought the food was decent. One thing for sure; ESPN is quick to cut something that doesn't carry its weight.

2. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I went to the one at Disneyland once to meet a friend who was there vacationing with the family. Not only did ol' Six-Toe NOT bring out the wings, but a Kenny Mayne impersonator just would NOT shut up.

I haven't gone back. And I never, ever will.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Went to the one in Atlanta once. Parking was a bitch and it was absurdly overpriced, but I thought the recliners and wall-O'-TVs were cool concepts. Surely been done better at some non-national-chain sports bars.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Never been to the one in Vegas (after going to NYC's I felt no need), but that's a pretty good piece of Strip frontage. Is that one closing too?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It sounds like it from the article.

Jay-Z's 40/40 Club in Vegas also closed.

6. Crash

Crash Active Member

Only one I've been to was at Disneyland. One of the worst restaurant experiences I've ever had. Terrible service, terrible food, and way too expensive.

7. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

The Vegas' 40/40 Club was supposedly so corrupt and poorly run that I believe Jay-Z wanted his name off it. My younger brother had reservations there for a pretty expensive Super Bowl party (he's a local), like $200 per person, and when they got there, they put them outside (it was 50 degrees) with a tiny TV at their booth and expected them to pay. They happily went to Sapphire's and got free halftime "massages."

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I went to what I think was an ESPN Sports Zone in NYCity back in 2005 and I went to the same thing on the Boardwalk section at Disneyworld in 2007.
    Are these the restaurant/bars that are closing?
    I had a good time at both, and there was lots of memorabilia on the walls, which I like to look at.

Maybe we are talking about two different entities

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I never liked their espresso.

10. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I've been to the one in Vegas and the one in Chicago multiple times. Seems like the games were getting very outdated the last time I was around. Ate at the one in Vegas on one of the best online freebies I've ever signed up for. Got $25 food credit, a football, and a lunchbox just for signing up for the ESPNZone newsletter. Used the $25 credit while watching the NBA draft a few years ago. Was pretty sweet.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And yet, it keeps Berman.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Aw, c'mon. We know you're just ticked because ESPN wouldn't let you finish on its grill.

Draft saved Draft deleted