1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most dominant athlete in a professional team sport

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jan 28, 2007.

?

Which current athlete is the most dominant in his or her professional team sport?

1. LaDanian Tomlinson

12 vote(s)
    34.3%
  2. Albert Pujols

5 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Martin Brodeur

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. LeBron James

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Jimmie Johnson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Ronaldinho

2 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Tony Stewart

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  8. Peyton Manning

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  9. Sidney Crosby

4 vote(s)
    11.4%
  10. Mariano Rivera

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. Steve Nash

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Johan Santana

3 vote(s)
    8.6%
  13. Champ Bailey

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

I will vote for LT, but man I can't believe you didn't put my boy Kobe up there.

2. statrat

statrat Member

I can't go with anyone on this list. I cast my vote for Champ Bailey. The guy simply shuts down a whole half of the field. Quarterbacks don't bother throwing anywhere near him unless he is camped out in a cover-2 with a 10 yard cushion between him and the receiver.

3. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Even then if I was QBing I would still be worried he would jump the route and pick 6.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Johan Santana belongs on the list. Who is the 2nd best SP?

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Okay, I added Rivera, Nash, Santana and Bailey to the list. Any others?

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

And the answer is still none of the above.
    I don't believe there is a a truly dominant player --Jordan, Gretzky, Chamberlain, Jim Brown, Koufax etc. -- in any team sport right now

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

For now, I voted Santana. In 2-3 years I think it will be LeBron, and not that close.

8. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I voted for LT, but agree with Guy on this one. LeBron has the potential, if they ever put it all together in Cleveland, to lead a dynasty that makes Michael Jordan's run with the Bulls look average.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

True dat. If he stayed in college, he'd be a senior right now. Wow.
    But for now, I'd have to go with Ronaldinho.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I voted Pujols, but the more I think about I might still say Johan or Rivera. Rivera is pretty damn consistent still and Johan is definitely one of those players that makes you want to watch everyone of his starts.

11. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

I'm sure that the investigation into my omission is forthcoming.

12. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

What about some love for Mariano Rivera? I mean, the guy has been one of the top three closers in baseball for the last eight seasons using basically only one pitch every single time. It should have either been him or Santana should have one the '05 Cy Young and not Colon. Yes, he pitches in just the last inning or so of games that the Yankees are either winning or tied, but most other closers would have a few more losses or blown saves to their credit. Another point: the highest batting average he has allowed since his first full season in 1996 was just .237 (1997). That and he hasn't posted an ERA over 2.00 since 2002. Not bad for a guy who should be on the decline.

Draft saved Draft deleted