1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

most distinct regional dialect

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I love guessing where people are from based on their accent!

Having grown up in the South, I've been known to tell a South Carolina from a Georgia and an Alabama from a Tennessee.

I think South Carolina and Louisiana have more a drawl... they speak more slowly... they've got that low country thing goin' on. In Georgia, they have the accent but talk faster -- think Foxworthy.

Texas and Oklahoma have their own thing, too.

Last week I was at a new doctor, and after he introduced himself I said, "Chicago!" He was a bit humorless and said yes, he's from Chicago. After the examination as he was leaving the room, he said, "Do you have any questions?"

And I said, "Can you say 'Ditka!' for me just once??"

He didn't. :(

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

No one for wi-SKAAAAAN-sin?

3. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Pittsburghese should be right up there. On that same note, in five years there I was not only told I was from the South (Baltimore?) but also that I had an accent. OK ...

Also, different parts of the south - as well as different parts of Texas - all have distinct tones.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Right on about the Southern thing. If you've ever heard someone from Calhoun City, Mississippi speak, it's unmistakeably apart from any other Southern accent.

5. I did, a few posts back. A little bit of Milwaukee-ese from my man Alex Thien.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I always get amused hearing from those around the upper great lakes. The U-P and the thumb in Michigan, or around Minnesota too. It's almost Canadian, but still red, white, and blue.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's a tie between Cajun and the outports of Newfoundland.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Get a new doctor. Stat.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Cousins.

10. "Try to raise a family/Ended up an enemy/Over what went down on the Plains of Abraham."
    -- Acadian Driftwood
    The Band.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Why in the hell would you ever spend a week in Strongsville? I lived there for a year (thank god I was only 5) and my brother was born when we lived there.

Ick.

12. JackS

JackS Member

Another vote for Cajun. Lived in Eunice for two years (Geaux Bobcats and Blue Jays!) and I couldn't even understand some people their accent was so thick.

Draft saved Draft deleted