1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most boring sport to cover

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Wondering what you guys consider the most boring sport to cover – not neccesarily play or even watch if you have a rooting interest, but what is the worst sport to cover?

For me it's curling. I actually really like the game, but having to sit through an entire day of curling is enough to take down even the biggest insomniacs among us.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

1. Field Hockey
    2. Field Hockey
    3. Field Hockey
    4. Field Hockey
    5. Field Hockey
    6. Field Hockey
    7. Field Hockey
    8. Field Hockey
    9. Field Hockey
    10. Field Hockey

3. NDub

NDub Guest

I haven't covered it yet but I can't imagine gymnastics is enthusing.

Damn winters sports beat....

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

THe one thing about gymnastics, and I haven't covered a meet yet either, is that ot's not the same thing over and over again, if you get tired of one apparatus you can move on to the next.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Who on here covered the Duck-Duck-Goose tourney? That would be the leader in the clubhouse.

6. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

1. Swimming
    2. Swimming
    3. Swimming
    4. Swimming
    5. Poorly-played girls soccer
    6. Swimming
    7. Poorly-played girls basketball
    8. Swimming
    9. High school tennis
    10. Swimming

I almost said track, but then there are those moments, such as at state meets, when thousands of people rise up in a swell as the running events conclude that make the whole day worth it. I get goosebumps every time.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Cross country, track and (high school) baseball (because it's so damned long and drawn-out. I much prefer the speed of softball).

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Actually, field hockey isn't THAT bad. It's better than soccer, because there's more scoring. And there is action up and down the field.

I'll have to say swimming or sychronized swimming (yes, they do have that in high school).

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Soccer because it always goes on longer than it is supposed to because of the injury time. It's too long already but c'mon!

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

1. Swimming
    2. Cross country (unless you can see the whole course, but how often does that happen?)
    3. Tennis
    4. Prep golf
    5. Wrestling

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

There's more action in grass growing than field hockey. Run three feet, whistle, stoppage in play, someone trying to do something that would add offense to the game, penalty. Repeat.

I once got lost going to a field hockey game and missed the first half. I MISSED NOTHING!!! It was scoreless. I could have missed the second half too.

I will say that the only decent thing about field hockey is the brevity. Thirty minute halves plus a couple quick OTs and the inevitable penalty strokes and you're still out of hell in less than two hours. Beats soccer in that regard. But at least in soccer you might see some spoiled punks pretending to play tough, which is good for entertainment purposes.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

1. Girls' soccer
    2. Some boys' soccer
    3. Swimming
    4. HS baseball (love the speed of HS softball)
    5. Poorly-played HS football
    6. Tennis

Sports I love covering:
    1. HS softball
    2. Football
    3. Some boys' soccer
    4. boys' basketball

Draft saved Draft deleted