1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most bizzarre story you have ever written

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mustangj17, Jul 21, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Did you bring enough Junior Mints for everyone?

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

They're quite refreshing.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I was the object of a photo essay, when our photographer shot me during my cancer radiation treatments in Keene, New Hampshire.

I think he won an award.

4. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The most bizarre story I've ever covered doesn't even compare to the ones listed above, but it bizarre to me.

Last August, we literally had NOTHING to cover. Nothing. (We're a series of weeklies). So, we decide to cover a miniature golf tournament.

Cover it like it was an actual sporting event.

My coworker still gives me crap when I say how lame covering this event was but sitting there trying to take mini golf seriously was just beyond weird.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Just last week I wrote a story about three diehard MLB fans working in Antarctica, and how they follow baseball from there. The more interseting stuff was how they lived there, period.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Bobcat,

You should check out this yr's Oscar-nommed doc by Werner Herzog about the Antarctic community -- it's hard to tell if the polar scientists go there because their misfits or were normal folk who lose it once they get there.

o-<

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Seriously? Shit, what town is that? Because we all need to avoid that fucking place.

8. Wasn't that national news? I seem to recall readign about that before.

9. Had to write a a story about one of our sports writers after he was thrown out of a game he was assigned to cover by a referee.
    The official took exception to a column the writer had penned a few weeks before. When the official spots our man at a game he was preparing to work, he goes over the school AD and says something to effect "eirther he goes or I go."
    So the AD tells our guy to leave so they can play the game.

A few years later, said ref, who onwed some sports apparal biz, was indicted for swindling a couple of old ladies out their savings.

10. WFL nerd

WFL nerd Guest

Didn't write this (thank God), but back in 1992 my first shop was doing a special edition on the 50th anniversary of the Bataan Death March. Turns out there was a man in our coverage area who survived it.
    When the story appeared in the paper, the writer called it the "Baton Death March" and even threw in a line about the soldiers walking as though they were "holding batons."
    I shit you not.
    Incredibly, the writer wasn't fired or even severely reprimanded (nor was the editor or copy editor).
    Thankfully the worldwide interweb wasn't a factor back then.

Draft saved Draft deleted