1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most bitchy, angst-ridden sports fans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Sep 5, 2006.

?

Which fans whine the most when a team or teams is in the tank?

1. Boston fans

14 vote(s)
    21.5%
  2. Philly fans

20 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. NYC fans

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. Cleveland fans

9 vote(s)
    13.8%
  5. Chicago fans

10 vote(s)
    15.4%
  6. Other

4 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

ESPN ... when someone says SportsCenter is the root of all that's wrong with sports today.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Mike. Schmidt. Need. I. Say. More?

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

A couple of underrated group of pentulant fans...

-Texas high school football fans
    -Iowa State University fans and their inferiority complex towards the Hawkeyes

Chicago fans will always something to freak out and complain about. At least everyone expects Cleveland, Boston, New York, and Philly fans to do it. For Philly fans, it's terms of endearment.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Very good synopsis of Boston and Philly fans by Mr. Gee. Never realized how similar Boston and Philly fans were until I dealt with a bunch of Philadelphians regularly.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Some of you are changing the dynamic of the question. It's not bitchiest fans, it's angst-ridden fans.

I haven't lived on the East Coast, but Cleveland's fans are far and away the most angst-ridden I've ever spent significant time around. Their put-uponness can be charming and annoying as hell, often from minute-to-minute.

Chicago fans don't even come close, they're laid back about their misfortunes, which are overrated anyway given that they've celebrated eight championships in my lifetime alone. In fact, Chicago fans are the opposite of angst-ridden -- they're smug for no fucking reason whatsoever. Makes them a helluva lot of fun to make fun of, especially in Packer-Bear arguments.

Getting back to Cleveland, when the Indians were good, some of their fans were bad winners. I'll never forget sporting my Brewers hat shortly after Jacobs Field opened when the Tribe were ascendent and the Brewers had already dove head-first into the decade-long crapper.

Shithead Tribe fan pipes up, "Nice fucking crowd you had in Milwaukee for the series last weekend. 20,000? Your fans suck!"

Too fucking easy ...

"Hey man, I wear my Brewers hat, win or lose. But dude, it wasn't long ago that I seem to recall walking up to the main gate at Cleveland Stadium and basically being able to pick my seat. I remember when the Indians peed their pants if they drew over a million. I remember the favorite pastime was to spell swear words out of the vast, empty upper deck sections at the Stadium. So dude, when did the bandwagon pick you and 20,000 of your friends up and when do you get off again?"

"Fuck you man! Loyalty is bullshit, we're not stupid enough to support a losing team!"

Hand smacks forehead.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

A month's worth of home games at the old Cleveland Stadium wouldn't have drawn 20,000 in the midst of the Tribe's misery.

7. KP

KP Active Member

Talking about 1980s Indians baseball. Where's IJAG?

Pat Tabler and Andre Thornton.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Tabler does colour on the Blue Jays TV games.

Leaf fans (Hi, JR!) would have to be added to any list of angst-ridden fans.

9. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

I wouldn't use the word smug for Chicago fans. I think Chicago fans are easily excitable (but not as much as St. Louis fans where any shred of positivity is an occasion to pee in one's pants apparently).
    There's a great dose of angst that prevents smugness. (It's not the panicky, Defcon 5 level of angst that Boston fans seem to have.)
    Even with the Bears being 12-2 right now and being three games better than any other team in the NFC, there's not too much smugness.
    That's because most Chicago fans remember the Eagles and the Panthers playoff games at Soldier Field, and there's Rex Grossman still on the field.
    Now if you're talking about Bears fans being smug with the Packers, you may have a point, but it is bumblefuck Wisconsin. ;o)

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It has to be Philly.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'd have to say me, until I've had either chocolate or coffee. :D

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Philly fans, easily. [/Santa Claus]

Draft saved Draft deleted