1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Most amazing buzzer beater that doesn't count by a middle schooler ... ever

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gutter, Apr 8, 2009.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Every fucker in that town wears red?

C'mon, there is an entire color spectrum.

2. Klasky24

Klasky24 New Member

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I coached an 8th grade GIRLS team about 20 years ago; we averaged about 42 points a game.

I got pretty good at shooting 3/4-court backwards free throws that season; I got so I could hit about 15% of them. I won $200 once by hitting 3 in a row. ;)

4. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Clearly the coaches are getting their kids ready to play for Bo Ryan.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If it's like the 7th- and 8th-grade league I just finished coaching, a big reason it's 28-28 is because of time: eight-minute quarters with a running clock that stops only for free throws, and for the usual clock-stoppages within the last two minutes. If nobody can get fast breaks, the scores can be brutally low.

6. Starman

according to NFHSA rules, games under 9th grade level are supposed to be six-minute quarters. Why not just do that, and run the clock normally?

I hate the crap out of kids' sports leagues like that, which change the rules of the game depending how much time is left or what the score is. You're probably dealing with high school kids as refs and timekeepers anyway, asking them to conduct the game differently depending how much time is left is sheer idiocy.

7. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

It's sheer idiocy when you're dealing with adults.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Depends on what the teacher looked like.

9. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

Blame the architect, seemed like an awfully low ceiling for a basketball gymnasium ...

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

For some reason, this has me giggling like a 5-year old.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

There are rec leagues, so no need to conform to NFHS rules. As a coach, I don't mind the running clock, because then you eliminate the (very amateur) timekeepers' judgment. Plus, it trains your kids to hustle at all times. Anyway, it's not "changing" the rules of the game as far as I'm concerned. As long as the rules are set before the season starts, that's all that matters.

12. Starman

Well, I get that point, but if we want to "eliminate the (very amateur) timekeepers' judgment," why go back to it in the last 2 minutes of the game?

Draft saved Draft deleted