1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mort and Favre

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Kato, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I posted this on one of the Favre threads on the sports and news board and no one bit. It's probably more of a journalism topic anyway. Here goes:

I watched Chris Mortenson's reports on the Favre situation Friday on ESPN and read his reports on ESPN.com. The dateline on the online story was Hattiesburg, Miss., where Favre lives, and his TV report mentioned how good he thought Favre looked as he practiced with the high school kids. Yet, there was not one quote from Favre. Nothing Mort reported was attributed to Favre himself; everything from Favre was attributed to the agent. There was no mention of speaking with Favre, no mention of what he actually said, no mention of Favre NOT talking.

So what was Mort doing? Doesn't he have to say whether or not he talked to Favre? Doesn't it seem odd that he was there and watched him play and didn't speak with him or didn't even attempt to speak to him? If Favre wasn't talking, isn't it important to say that?

One more thing, after watching Terrell Owens lifting weights in his drive way last year (or was it two years ago?), isn't it strange that there hasn't been a camera crew hanging around southern Mississippi or around that high school practice field, trying to get a statement or a peek?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if he made it over to Hattiesburg. But I am fairly certain Mort was at the Manning Passing Academy on Friday. It ran from Thursday and ends today, and they are doing it about 50 miles from New Orleans at Nicholls State. I assume he actually went to Hattiesburg, if that was the dateline, and I really don't have an answer for you, but I know almost for sure that Mort was following the story from the Manning camp for at least part of Friday.

3. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Mort, on radio the other day, described Favre wearing a sleeveless shirt on the practice field and joking that his "guns" looked pretty good. I certainly got the impression Mort was on the scene. Maybe Favre would only acknowledge Mort but not talk to him. I could envision that.

4. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

Uh, Kato, you might want to go back and read Mort's story again:

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Based on the responses and the info in the story, I am now wondering if I was confusing Thursday with Friday. I can't keep the days straight.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Mort is reporting whatever Bus Cook tells him to.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Agreed.

This whole saga is unnecessary sensationalistic.

BREAKING NEWS: Brett Favre ate dinner with his family Sunday night...

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

i've always greatly admired favre, the most down-to-earth superstar i've ever met. also greatly admire mort and SportsJournalists.com whipping boy peter king.

all that said, everyone's guilty of being way up favre/cook's butt on this one. a lot of penis-measuring goin' on with this one.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Chris Mortensen reports Favre passed on the ice cream, which may be another indication he's serious about reporting to training camp in shape.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Mortensen also reports that Favre's daughter, Breleigh, intercepted the mashed potatoes intended for his wife Deanna during the second course. Favre, who had tried to fling the potatoes a spoonful at a time to Deanna, said, "I was just trying to make a play. I am Brett fuckin' Favre, man."

11. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I may have missed that. If so, my bad. Maybe it was added later. I don't recall reading that orginally, and when I saw Mort's TV report Friday night, he made no mention of talking to or trying to talk to Favre.

Still, it does seem crazy that, with everything being reported from other camps -- Cook, the Packers -- that someone couldn't get something out of Favre -- even an on-the-record, even on-camera no comment -- if they're right there with him.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Doesn't "Favre did not wish to speak publicly about his situation" suffice as a no comment? A quote from Favre saying, "No comment" wouldn't have furthered the story. Hopefully, Mort spoke with him privately and gained some insight for his reporting.

Draft saved Draft deleted