1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morris pay cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's two months better than most Cos.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How much salary does Morris hisowndamnself take each year?

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

thesimpledollar.com

It's hard, and my wife and I only learned our lesson after hitting about as rock-bottom as it is possible to hit financially, but *anyone* can have a small emergency fund if they decide it's important to them.

4. trench

trench Member

As an ex-Morris guy, I hate to see this for a lot of guys I worked beside for more than a decade. What bugs me most about the whole chain, however, is that Billy Morris was pinching pennies and squeezing blood from turnip more than a decade ago when the newspaper biz was in far, far better shape.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

What he said. Absolutely true. And I actually mostly ENJOYED my time at the Morris paper I worked for.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Just so you know, unless you've had previous food-service experience, you apparently cannot be a shift leader at McDonald's without first doing the front-counter, waiting and clean-up work for a specified amount of time.

Yes, sadly, I've actually looked into this. I got the bright idea to do it as a second job at the McDonald's up the street from my house.

The computerized application process -- the only way to apply, I was told by somebody at the McDonald's of my choice -- directed me back, automatically, to the entry-level page.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I have five years experience. That's how I paid for this worthless journalism degree to begin with.

(and incidentally, I make less now than I did then)

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Well, you're more fortunate (and qualified) than me, apparently.

I cry for both of us at the ridiculousness of it all, though.

9. trench

trench Member

I worked at the Morris flagship and even there, it got worse and worse by the year.

Draft saved Draft deleted