1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morris pay cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Diabeetus, Mar 18, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I plan to be out in 12-18 months anyway, but let me tell you, if they ever tried to cut my pay, that'd be their last act as my employer.

There are certain things in life I just say to myself "I won't be that guy."

And "that guy who lets his company push him around to the point they can cut his pay at will" is definitely on that list.

2. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

I agree with you completely, Rick.

But the jobs outside the industry. They are a bit difficult to find.

3. RickStain

I can live with leading shifts at McDonald's for a couple years while I go back to school.

4. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Go to hell, Morris execs. Fuck you all. Cutting pay of those making 25,000. geezus. Fuck you.

5. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

Morris is notorious in being cheap with pay and benefits.

Those pay cuts make it really bad.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

How long before we're the white-collar equivalent of a Singaporean sweatshop?
    Maybe then we can start covering Indian town council meetings via satellite and steal some of the outsourced jobs back.

7. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

But you can be damn sure Billy's still got money to waste money on his cutting horses.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

The memo:

As you are all acutely aware, the newspaper business is facing unprecedented challenges. Just yesterday, after 126 continuous years of publishing, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer printed its last edition. Other newspapers have sought protection from creditors in bankruptcy court, severely cut back on their publishing schedules or abandoned the business entirely.

Morris Communications so far has been able to avoid such far-reaching action. We continue to talk to our lenders and bondholders to seek a sustainable restructuring of our debt.

But we also must do what is necessary to try to keep our operating costs in line with declining revenues. Therefore, effective April 1, Morris Communications is reducing all employee salaries throughout the Morris companies by 5 to 10 percent. Employees who make less than $25,000 a year will have their pay reduced by 5 percent; those making at least $25,000 but less than $50,000 will have their pay reduced by 7.5 percent and those making $50,000 or more will have their pay reduced by 10 percent.

This is an extremely painful decision for the company; but as our advertising partners continue to suffer devastating declines in their businesses and their ability to pay to advertise, Morris Communications’ revenues have fallen dramatically. Thus, we are forced to take some of the same steps that many companies have already taken.

We did not make this decision lightly. While it is a difficult step, we believe it is the best way to preserve as many jobs as possible in this very difficult environment.

Our newspapers, digital media and other businesses continue to innovate, retrench and position themselves for a stronger future. Our goal today, as always, is to deliver consistent and sustainable value to our readers and advertisers and provide a fair wage and good workplace for our employees.

We appreciate your hard work and loyalty. Without it, this company could not have become successful. We will continue to keep you updated as the situation evolves.

9. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Maybe Morris needed the money for this? http://www.blueridgenow.com/article/20090319/TOPSTORIES/903181959/1151?Title=New-cable-provider-vows-better-service

10. theotherap

theotherap New Member

This is sickening.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Congratulations on being able to just chuck it all. Rich daddy? Wife makes more than you?

Wish more people had your options. Unfortunately, most don't.

12. RickStain

Ha. None of the above. My parents were and are dirt poor. My wife makes the exact same as me. She sits two desks down from me in the news department.

Try "paid so little that walking down the street to McDonald's wouldn't make much of a difference."

One advantage is that I do live in an area that still has fairly plentiful opportunities for entry-level labor.

Draft saved Draft deleted