1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Morris or Bumgarner?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Oct 31, 2014.

?

Who had the more memorable Game 7 pitching performance, Jack Morris (1991) or Madison Bumgarner (201

1. Jack Morris

13 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. Madison Bumgarner

11 vote(s)
    45.8%
  1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Morris.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

How about John Tudor in 1985? :D

3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Bumgarner.

4. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Morris's 1991 game is still memorable to many fans almost 25 years later. I think 25 years from now Bumgarner's 2014 game will mainly be remembered by Giants fans. Joe Page had a similar game seven performance in 1947 and that performance didn't make much of an impression.

5. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, but baseball was more popular in 1991 than it is now, or at least it sure as hell seems that way.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

On second thought I am going to have to go with Bumgarner. He struck out four of 17 batters (23.5 percent). Morris struck out eight of 38 (21 percent). He also walked two guys to Bumgarner's zero. Neither gave up a home run.

Everything else is just positive variance.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

But it's not just Morris. It's "Morris v. Smoltz" and that's why it will stick forever, even 25 years from now.

Smoltz pitched the game of his life -- he was just a rookie, but still -- and yet the old codger showed 'em up for one inning longer.

But Bumgarner's effort has become lore too. Better lore? Lesser lore? Who knows. I think the 5 innings becomes part of his 0.25 in 36 innings lore.

8. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Is clutch one singular moment or does it refer to a series of such moments? This is an important distinction to make.

9. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Well this year it was Bumgarner v. the Best Bullpen in baseball. One man v. three men. One man pitching out of his comfort zone against one of the best bullpens in recent history. I voted for MadBum but I don't really know if there is a correct answer.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Morris by far. 10-inning shutout for the win in Game 7 against a guy who pitched a few innings of relief against a shitty offense. Morris doesn't make the Hall without this game. It's legendary nearly a quarter-century later.

11. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

For a single game performance - Morris, and it isn't close. Morris went 10 innings, Bumgarner went five.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Of course, that was with the A/C blowing in.

Draft saved Draft deleted