1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More yardage questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TyWebb, Oct 21, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I thought I read something about team rushes-team yards for fumbles.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriousd question... Do you guys just want to know this stuff so you know the right way to do them or do you need to know because you actually run stats this extensively on high school games?

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

To do it the right way.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Do these kind of stats actually appear in the paper?

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Not all the time.

But I'd like to be able to get yardage correct, to provide our readers an accurate picture of the event that happened.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

OK. Just seems there are people who here who worry too much about minutia and might be either missing the big picture or bogging down stories in numbers.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Well, yeah, there's always that concern, and I struggle with it each Friday and Saturday.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I have always used rushing totals, passing totals, team totals, etc., in my stories.

We also keep team stats.

A lot of papers run boxes that include complete stats for both teams.

I think the answer, for many folks, is: Both. They run stats, and they certainly want to have them right.

Certainly, if I want to write that the Ledyard quarterback had xxx yards passing, and I want to be write, I better include the yardage for the two hook-and-ladder touchdowns.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

I agree with getting the stats right but to always use rushing totals, passing, team totals etc in every story is, to me, too many numbers unless they are of real significance.

10. Well, here's a situation that did end up in our paper.

Play from the opponents' 5-yard line. QB dive, fumbles near the line of scrimmage and the ball shoots forward into the end zone where the center recovers it for the touchdown. Now, listening to this thread, it sounds like the QB would get the five yards since the center didn't advance the ball. So does the QB get the TD or does the center? We gave it to the center, but to be honest I'm not sure.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Center gets the TD.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I had a couple hook-and-ladders (laterals) at my game Saturday. I asked myself after the game: How would I have put a hook-and-ladder TD in a boxscore?

BF--John Doe 27 lateral from Richard Roe, 6 pass from Joe Blow

Is that right?

Draft saved Draft deleted