1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More yahoos with way too much time on their hands

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, May 6, 2009.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I realize this is roughly the equivalent of PETA telling people they shouldn't eat hot dogs. But some group called Sport in Society thinks it'd be a great idea to create a cabinet level post in the White House to oversee sports in America.
    Are you freaking kidding me?
    I'm not sure what's more outrageous -- that this group thinks it has enough clout to propose this and get a serious response from the White House; or that the AP wrote an actual honest to god story about it.

From the AP:

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The thing that is more outrageous is that there will be a lot of people in Washington excited about the prospects of growing the bureaucracy.......

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

[​IMG]

Secretary ... I like the sound of that.

4. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

What, AP couldn't track down Obama and Biden having hamburgers again???

Obviously, the Sport in Society group needs to get a little perspective. The president helping efforts to bring the Summer Olympics to his country? Yes. The president helping to organize youth sports better? Uh, that's where parents, families and others in the community take the ball and run with it.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

You shut up. Sport in Society tries just as hard as the other lobbying groups.

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Or not.

Even liberals think this is a stupid idea.

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if there will be a Deputy Undersecretary of Making Sure T-Ball Photos Run.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Give them a trophy.

9. kleeda

kleeda Active Member

We're layering regulations on other free enterprise, why not sports?

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Britain's government has a minister for sport, usually charged with helping the Olympic committee and Football association with attracting events, and helping policing of fans.

I'm not seeing how this is so outlandish

11. Of course you don't.

Limey.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Well, yes, because what we certainly need to do is add millions, or probably billions, more to the annual budget, particularly to find someone to be in charge of making sure that gym classes are fair and aren't forcing kids to play dodge ball.....

Draft saved Draft deleted