1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Wedding Hassels. What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Let me preface this by saying my sister, who is two years younger than me, is an angel. She's an award-winning nurse who gives her patients gifts at Christmas, volunteer firefighter, lent me money to help pay for tuition in college. She stood in my wedding. All around good girl.

The one thing she's not good at is relationships. But she's found a keeper my whole family loves.

Last week, they decided to get married. On April 24.

That's 13 days before my second child is due. Pardon my French, but what the fuck?

She said she wanted to get married before we had our kid — as not to inconvenience us. And so that "the new baby wouldn't steal [her] day." Fine. Understandable. But how can she expect us — or even me, for that matter — to be there?

The wedding is three hours from here via car.

Our second kid is due May 7. And my wife swears her due date is May 4.

I can't seriously bring my wife and risk having her go into labor in the middle of nowhere either on the way there or back, or at the wedding or my parents house for that matter. And I can't seriously leave my wife at home at the risk of her going into labor during the entire 24-30 hours I'll be away. Can I?

Thoughts or suggestions?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Um, it's her wedding. If you don't think you can go, don't go. You may think it's selfish of her to schedule the wedding so close to the due date. But what's even more selfish is asking her to change the date for your convenience.

3. Pete Incaviglia

I'm not even suggesting I ask her to change. I'm asking whether or not I should/could go. I'm asking what others would do.

As if in a million years I'd ask her to change the date. Come on.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

She's a pain in the ass. But, you should go by yourself.

If anything happens, you're only three hours away.

5. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I'm not sure why you brought up the fact that the one thing your sister's "not good at is relationships" but, again, it's her wedding. If it inconveniences you, that's your issue. I've never been pregnant that I know of, or have any children that I'm aware of, so I know nothing about attending weddings close to due dates. But it's only three hours away. I do hope you can make it. You gotta go. Best to your sister. :)

6. Pete Incaviglia

Thing is, she actually tried to make this work for me; for us. And I think that's cool as hell. I know what she was trying to do. That makes me feel like I should go. She wants us both to be there — and her niece too.

It's just cutting it so damn close to that due date of the second little one.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

They just set the date, and it's one month away? They couldn't wait two months so you could be there for sure??

You're not going. Three hours is forever if your wife goes into labor, especially with another child at home to worry about.

8. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Have you spoken to your wife's doctor? Whatever he/she says, goes, I would think...

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I saw an NCIS where McGee attended the wedding of a distant friend via computer. Some skype-type thingy. Maybe someone could set that up.

10. Pete Incaviglia

21 - My sis told me they didn't want a summer wedding. It's too hot where we're at. And they're right. I was married in June and it was awful. Plus she said she wants to get to her own baby making.

CB - We have a doctor appointment April 5. So hopefully we get some useful info there.

11. Pete Incaviglia

Now that would be cool.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, go with doc's advice.

I went to a cousin's wedding, via plane, a couple weeks before my wife gave birth to our first. Just got in and out as quick as I could.

You said it's a three-hour car ride. So if you just go for ceremony and reception, briefly, that could be 8-10 hours total. Not terrible.

Draft saved Draft deleted