1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More trip advice: Philly

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JackReacher, Aug 5, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Just an update....Philly was pretty amazing today. We had a blast.

Started off with a cheesesteak from Pat's at about 11:30 a.m. It was good. Not great. Good. It did the trick. Then, amazingly enough, as if we weren't full, we walked back to our car, which was right across the street from Marra's Italian Restaurant. Found it online. Some Best of Philly survey said it was good, and as much as I hate those survey's, we tried it. Got a small pizza. Amazing. So damn good. It was huge. We ate two pieces each and brought the rest home.

After that, we went to Love Park and took the requisite pictures. Paid a homeless drunkard two bucks to take our picture. Amazing how drunk he was, but more amazing was that the pictures he took were good. Well worth the two bucks.

Then it was off to the Rocky Steps. We parked around back for free instead of getting financially raped in the $10 lot out front. Eff that. We just walked around. Took pics from up top then walked down and a got a pic in front of the statue. Then, I did something I figured I'd regret. I ran the steps and DID NOT have a heart attack. Got up those steps pretty well, actually. I'm pretty sure it was a record. Also stood in line behind about 398 meatheads in town for the UFC fight.

We then went over to Penn and took some pictures outside Franklin Field. All the gates were locked because of construction, but I got a few pics of the inside. Very cool place. Walking around, I forgot about The Paelestra (sp) was there until I stumbled on it. Luckily, the doors were open for some volleyball practice. So we went inside and wondered around a bit, took a few pictures. That place just reaked of history. Awesome.

So after that, we decided to give Jim's Steaks a try for comparison's sake. So we parked a few blocks away -- where we eventually saw the First Lady's motorcade speed past on South Street. Pretty cool. Anyway, th line at Jim's was around the block. Ridiculous. No chance we were waiting; we figured it was a good excuse for us to make a return trip. So we went across the street to Copacabana's, a place a friend suggested. Good call by him. Had one of the top 3 burgers of my life there. Guac and salsa on a perfectly well done burger. Flat-out awesome.

So, all in all, it was a great trip.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sonner and homeless winos: Working hand-in-hand to support the local economy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The bum at the Rocky statue was making a killing taking people's pictures for them. If my phone had a decent camera, I would have taken a picture of the cash practically falling out of his pocket. Just silly.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Glad you enjoyed your trip. When you were at Penn, you were close to the Jim's in West Philadelphia. You wouldn't have had to endure a long wait and it would've been worth it.
    As for the bum, according to my sources the guy who works Love Park used to be a journalist. And he wasn't drunk. LOL.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

So then, what did you do with the two dollars Sonner gave you? Har-har-har.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Got a pretzel and a water ice. It came up to $1.50 so I still have something from my chance meeting with Sonner.

7. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Mea culpa here to Drip. Actually, not to him because he probably didn't see it. But I snapped at him for not reading Sonner's post, and I missed the "West" in Drip's and thought he ignored the fact that Sonner went to Jim's.

My bad. My bad. My bad.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Here's another excuse to go back:

http://www.livenation.com/edp/eventId/411405

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

imjag, I'll accept your apology. Maybe, just maybe, you'll read my posts in the future before reacting to something I've written said. No problems though and one love to you.
    Big Circus, the Tower has some of the best accoustics in the nation. David Bowie raves about the place.

Draft saved Draft deleted