1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Sun-Sentinel cuts?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Mar 12, 2009.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is a d_b. Just noticed this on the guy's blog.

http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/pulp/2009/03/source_sun-sentinel_miami_hera.php

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's a week old.

There is supposed to be a first prong of a staggered layoff from the S-S ... perhaps as early as tomorrow.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"expense reductions".... fucking suits won't even let people die with dignity when they shoot them

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

How come the suits aren't getting fired?

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because suits make the decisions on who gets fired, and they look out for themselves.

6. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Sun-Sentinel coulda been so great, just like Orlando was for a while.

But they never put the effort into the newsroom like they did up there in Orlando and Chicago.

I always wondered why they didn't. I guess it's better for them to sell yacht ads.

Wanna buy a boat?

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Huh?

It's been a long, long, long time since Chicago was great, regardless of whatever effort was put into that newsroom.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Bull-fucking-shit.

First, Chicago has always been the second paper in The Second City when it comes to sports.

And, Orlando? They've done great. Also, though, it's nice when you only have two teams to cover, UF and the Magic. Frees up a lot of cash to hire and do fun shit with.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Did anyone see the S-S at one point? Before Trib started nicking and scraping, their sports section was kick ass at all times. It still has its days, but I really looked forward to Sundays.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

There was a golden age of the Sun-Sentinel, under Fred Turner, when it was a terrific sports section with kick-ass space and great writers and editors and it won a lot of deserved awards (and please don't start on the value of awards business). There were some excellent people there, lot of top inside people, including three who helped make Hartford a great sports section: Jeff Otterbein, Scott Powers, Jim Kuykendall. Mark Leary. Plaschke and Wojciechowski both went through there as prep writers, although mostly earlier. Tim Rosaforte. Robbie Andreu, a great beat guy. Paul Moran, one of the top horse-racing guys in the country. Dave Joseph. Craig Barnes, the ultimate role player. Andy Cohen, who was an excellent NFL guy but left to run Dolphin Digest. Hyde came on midway into the golden period.

I'm missing about 10 names here, and I apologize to who I'm leaving out.

They're not what they used to be, but that has much to do with Tribune wrecking things as anything.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The Chicago Tribune has been one of the biggest underachieving papers in the country for over a decade...

The Orlando Sentinel has long been one of my favorite sections, but Cowbell is 100 percent right, it's a little easier to get creative and do things a little differently when the only "local" beats are the Magic and a school that is arguably a mid-major (UCF). The Sentinel's No. 2 (Florida) and No. 3 (Bucs) beats are out of their primary coverage area.

The Sun-Sentinel has much more ground to cover.

12. Simon_Cowbell

And, SF, someday someone will pile together the list of agate clerks Fred hired in sports who ended up up the food chain.... Mike Russo, David O'Brien, Mike Rosenwald, plus a bevy of designers and editors.

Fred is a Hall of Famer, developing the people he did in the shadow of the clearly No. 1-reputation Herald.

Draft saved Draft deleted