1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MORE shootings ... this time in El Paso and Dayton

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by melock, Aug 3, 2019.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I don't walk down 42nd Street anymore near Times Square, I walk a block south. All things being equal, I prefer to go to Port Authority, because I figure that is less of a target.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

and by going this way, you're also avoiding anti-Semitic Elmo and dirty-leg Minnie Mouse, so win-win.

BitterYoungMatador2 and Webster like this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I haven't walked down 42nd St. in years when I'm in New York, not because of worries for personal safety, but because I would like to get crosstown before a change of seasons.

HC likes this.
  4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

"I've been on Ashley Madison for years, but you don't see me fucking around on my wife."

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

6. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Come on. No thinking person can read that tweet and think it is accurate when considering all the variables that go into the claim. Mexico and Brazil didn't have mass shootings? With a rampant drug problem and higher murder rates? Sure.
    A result from a one second Google search.

Viral tweet about mass shootings by country needs context

Shitty tweets are shitty tweets regardless of what side they support. Keep bad 'facts' out of the discussion.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I stand by my comment that America is exceptional at mass killings.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

North Korea, Niger, Sudan, Chad, Yemen have systemic institutional mass murder
    No. Random and arbitrary acts are not exceptional. America is sloppy and lazy

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

'No evidence of any acts of violence.' USA TODAY headquarters evacuated after report of armed person

McLEAN, Va. — USA TODAY's headquarters in the Washington suburbs was evacuated Wednesday amid a heavy police presence after what authorities said turned out to be a mistaken report of a person with a weapon.

Fairfax County, Virginia police reported that they were clearing the building without incident. The building remained subject to a mandatory evacuation early Wednesday afternoon.

Lt. Eric Ivancic said police received a call at 11:56 a.m., reporting that a man with gun was seen at the building, which holds the headquarters for USA TODAY, its parent company, Gannett Co., and offices for a variety of other businesses. Police were continuing to investigate, but there has been no evidence of shooting and they had not located anyone with a weapon, Ivancic said.

At a briefing later, Fairfax County Police Chief Edwin Roessler Jr. said officers were searching for a former employee of one of the companies who he described as a "person of interest." He declined to identify the person because he or she might have done nothing wrong. It will likely take several hours to complete the search of the building, he said.

"We all pray that this will be a non-event," Roessler said.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

That top five doesn’t appear to be mainstreamed. Send it back.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted