1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More running up the scoreage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Jan 6, 2010.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

On one thread we're demanding a coach be fired immediately for throwing a volleyball at a player.

Here we're advocating a coach instructing his players to clothesline the opposing team's players.

Hmmmmmm . . .

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I've come across this before, from teams that do nothing but press and trap for defense. They refuse to back down on that and play a halfcourt game when they're up by huge margins because, "it's what we do." However, their comeuppance is usually when they face a team that can break their press. Then, they have no clue how to play defense in a halfcourt game, plus they have no idea how to play offense if the offense isn't generated by steals or turnovers. Eventually, it all comes around.

Where I a coach, I would welcome the chance for my kids to play in a halfcourt game one in awhile to be prepared for the team that does beat your press. And someone always does.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sadly, yates is one of those teams where very few opponents are going to solve their press. They can go 15 deep and tire out their opponents. Watched them last week go on a 22-0 run in like 3:40 of the second quarter against a team from Alabama that had won four titles in six years and was favored to win their third-straight. Yates is scary good.

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Malcolm Gladwell thinks Lee would have pulled the upset if they would have implemented a press.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would love to know how many players live in the Yates boundaries or anywhere close. Someone said they'll get their comeuppance, but I seriously doubt it. This is a recruited all-star team that continues to mingle with the standard high schools where the kids actually go to school and the prom and stuff. Yates goes from basically a college-level itinerary of Oak Hill and St. Elizabeth Prep to playing the school a couple miles away -- probably a school some of the Yates kids should be attending if boundaries still mattered. Fair play isn't even a possibility.

Basketball is the most broken of all the high school sports. It's almost to the point that if a kid is playing for his neighborhood school, you know he has no future at the next level.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One is being provoked. The other one isn't.

The volleyball player did nothing to the coach to merit getting hit in the head with a ball. (Get locked in a closet ... maybe)

In the basketball case, the opposing coach is delibrately trying to humiliate the opposing team, and basically can, unless the losing team does something. They can either A. Get embarrassed more on the court. B. Walk off, and have everyone brand them as not only losers, but quitters as well, or C. Fight back. They chose C in this case.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

One can also lead to serious injury. The other may leave a tiny bruise.

Neither is bring provoked.

Otherwise, the ball-throwing coach would be justified in throwing the ball if his team was getting beat 25-1, 25-1, 24-0.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I assume it's different people in the different threads saying the different things.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Apples and Oranges.

Except for telling your team not to spike the ball or telling your team to let the other team score points, there isn't really any way a volleyball coach can use strategy to cut down the score. In basketball, the coach can run a slowdown offense.

In the basketball case, the coach continued to have his team press and run all over the floor in a delibrate effort to humiliate the other team.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Can anyone in TexasSportsJournalists.com enlighten as to how a fair-to-middlin' high school became a national power in the space of only a few years? Does HISD allow transfers from high school to high school? Is Yates basically a district all-star team?

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

This is why I'm opposed to a shot clock in high school basketball.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The refs are also at fault here: when a team with a 50-60++++ point lead starts getting in shoving matches/fights, you start dishing out technical fouls and ejections like M&M's.

When the team that's getting asskicked starts getting chippy and taking cheap shots, that's understandable, so you dish out the fouls and tell 'em "no more of that."

When the team that's doing the asskicking starts taking swings, you start chucking people out. And if you hear anything other than "yes sir" out of any of their players or coaches, it's Tee Time. Ding-ding, bye-bye. That won't look so good on the stat sheet, will it?

Draft saved Draft deleted