1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More rules are rules?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jun 10, 2014.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Seriously. You gotta let it go. Nobody cares who won the league title.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

People should be ticketed for jaywalking and going 2 miles over the speed limit.

SnarkShark likes this.
  3. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

Translation: Yes, following rules is too much to ask of JC and others of his/her ilk.

Sorry, selfishness isn't something I condone or encourage.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Very dramatic.

You sound like you would have been a hell of a lot of fun to hang out with in highschool and college.

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I used to live in a city in which people were -- and still are -- ticketed for jaywalking.

And I've driven through rural towns that will pull you over for going 5 MPH over the limit.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Shoulda been an e-cigar.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Over-zealous enforcement is a slippery slope. Next thing you know they'll be coming down on 16-year-olds having sex with their teachers in the school parking lot.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The MIAA's hand was forced because the players' cigar-smoking appeared on the local Wicked Local site -- which then took the photo down after the hubbub got started. If there wasn't a photo, then no one would care. But I'm going to guess the school's future opponent was more than happy to send the link to the MIAA, and would have raised holy hell if the rules hadn't been followed.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The idea that the league's strictures extend beyond the academic year (because the competition is still in process) reminds me of a story told by an academic friend. She was a very strong undergraduate student at a very prestigious institution, and she'd had an entirely above-board relationship with one of her professors. Couple of days before graduation, he called her to congratulate her. The conversation went like this:

"Well, XXXXXX, I just was calling to congratulate you on a fabulous academic career here."

"Thank you so much. You meant a lot to me while I was here and I really appreciate your calling."

"You know, XXXXXX, final grades have been posted, so I no longer have any influence on your academic performance."

"Okay ..."

"What that means is, since you're no longer a student, the university's policies regarding socializing with students no longer apply in my relationship with you."

"Okay ..."

"So would you be interested in dinner Friday night?"

"Oh, I am so sorry. I will be at my wedding rehearsal dinner then. But thank you so much for asking!"

And she was being entirely truthful. She really did get married that Saturday.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Surely you understand the difference between doing these things at all and getting punished for violating rules against these same things.

I drank quite a few beers before I turned 21. But I knew if I got caught, behind the wheel or otherwise, that I'd be fucked. Completely and justifiably fucked.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Especially if it's Cuban.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ryan Braun would have totally beaten that rap.

Draft saved Draft deleted