1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More rules are rules?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Two high school lacrosse players suspended for the entire tournament for puffing on a celebratory cigar after graduation. Both members are 18 years old, but that didn't matter to the Massachusetts Interscholastic Athletic Association.

I'm a little torn. Reasonably, it sounds silly. It's a tradition among graduates. But by the letter of the law, what if it was a celebratory cigarette, or celebratory lipper? What would be the difference?

http://bostonherald.com/sports/high_school/high_school_insider/2014/06/boys_lacrosse_two_beverly_boys_lax_players_suspended

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous and who cares if it was a lipper or cigarette? I bet you they even had a beer that night.

3. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

And if they did I would hope they would be suspended for that as well.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

The state's governing body states no student-athlete is allowed to be in possession of any tobacco, and the law states no smoking is allowed on school property. So that's where this ruling came in.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The moral is "don't get caught."

Of legal age or not, the story pretty clearly states tobacco use is against the association's rules.

Smoking isn't allowed in boot camp, either.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Went to my son's high school's musical last week (he was playing in the orchestra), and they'd chosen Bye Bye Birdie. Was kinda surprised they were able to do that, since there are some scenes with heavy drinking, and old Conrad Birdie puffs away several times as well. Would think that in today's zero-tolerance environment, such shows would be off-limits. Perhaps there are exceptions for art?

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Did they inhale?

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I love the rules are rules crowd. Puffing on a celebratory cigar after graduation, look away and move on.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The rule is pretty clear -- no tobacco use, or suspension.

If the MIAA didn't enforce it, then anyone who had been suspended for any substance use and abuse rule could come back and say, why the hell did you let them off the hook, and not us?

Of course, these rules are going to go by the wayside soon enough because parents so often are suing when their child is suspended from sports for a rules violation. Having an honor code doesn't work if the parents don't want to honor it.

10. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I'm wondering if you and I were basketball teammates during my athletic years, fleeting though they were.

Were you our starting point guard, who possessed modest physical talent but whose true skill was an unwillingness to follow rules because no rules applied to him?

He knew what was prohibited by the athletic code of our school and the by state governing body. We all did. He didn't care. Flaunted his consumption of beer and got suspended for a handful of games our last season.

Guys on the team were pissed as hell -- at the selfish punk whose actions hurt our chances to win a league title.

We let him know, after the suspension was served, the next time he decided to drink a suspension would be the least of his worries.
    He followed the rules...until he graduated and then had several run-ins with police because their rules didn't apply to him, either. I enjoyed reading about his exploits.

You love the rules are rules crowd? You may not believe this but there are athletes who demonstrate the discipline to follow the rules and get pissed at the selfishness of the violators.

Puffing on a celebratory cigar after graduation, look away and move on? How about waiting to puff on the damn cigar until after the season is concluded so you don't hurt your teammates?

Is that really so much to ask?

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Did that point guard cost you a scholarship?

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

No one should ever have to suffer the indignity of being held accountable for their actions.

Draft saved Draft deleted