1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More prep problems

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JBHawkEye, Jun 9, 2006.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Prep baseball game from the other night _ umpire throws out local school's best player for arguing a call. Under state rules, kid has to sit out the next doubleheader. In the story, we named the umpire. It was a coincidence that the same ump was involved in a critical play a few days ago in another game, when he was hit by a batted ball on a line drive that would have probably driven in two runs.

We've taken complaints from the umpire, and the state association, for naming the official.

Did we do the right thing? In my mind, we did.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Named the umpire...absolutely 100%, no doubnt about it right thing.

Now, if you mentioned the previous game and implied the guy is a jerk/incompetent, that's another story.
    If you simply said Ump Joe Smith ejected star player blah blah blah....no problem.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not even a question. Absolutely the right thing.

4. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

I don't think you should name the ref, unless the player and coaches complained about the call. If the call was right, why name him? That's just me.

5. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

We didn't mention the play from a few nights before.

What we said was "(Player) argued the call and was ejected by (umpire's name)." Then we ran a quote from the coach saying how the ejection would affect the team.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Your paper did the right thing. Stand by your reporting. Take the complaints and go on to the next issue.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It is not a call. It is an ejection. Big difference.

8. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

it should be run in that instance, and how you wrote it was fine.

9. Sometimes umpires and their bosses fail to understand that the rules that apply on the field to players and managers do not apply to the media.

10. jay_christley

jay_christley Member

You were in the right.

You didn't call the guy out. You stated the facts.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Exactly. If the ump didn't want his name in the paper, he shouldn't be umpiring.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

NED ISAKOFF: You got me blacklisted at Hop Sing's?
    DELIVERY MAN: She name names!

Draft saved Draft deleted