1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Photo Questions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SoSueMe, Apr 30, 2007.

1. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

The scenaio:

Gorgeous day. Not a cloud in the sky. It's 3 p.m. and there is a soccer game being played. Brightest day of the year. I'm shooting in direct sunlight.

My camera:
    Nikon D1H

My settings:
    ISO: 200 (also tried 400)
    Shutter speed: 1,000 (also tried 800 and 1,250)
    F-Stop: Set autmatically because I'm shooting in Shutter Priority Mode
    White balance: Direct sunlight

My problem:
    All my photos are black; as if the lens cap is on (and no, the lens cap is not on).

I quizzed one of our two full-time photogs about "how would you shoot today, given the conditions?"

His answers were the same as my settings. Still, I feel it's my lack of photog knowledge causing the problems, not the camera or lens as I shot two assignments indoors earlier in the day.

What gives?

If you want to PM, that's fine — I need a camera coach!

PS - Can't wait for photo refresher class in September!

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

1. Are you sure your lens cap isn't on?

2. Your problem may be shooting into the sun. This is what is known as being "back-lit," and you don't want to do that. It will give you those dark shots. Get the sun behind you, or at least above you.

3. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Shot, I was thinking the same thing.

But I INTENTIONALLY walked all the way around the field to make sure the sun was at my back (truth be told, it was 3 p.m. and the sun was practically right above me).

It seemed like a perfect day. That's why I'm so baffled by all this.

And I know the lens cap wasn't on as we have no lens caps here.

I'm not crazy am I? I mean, re-reading my settings above, it seems like this should have been ideal.

4. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Was the battery charged?
    Not really related, but when the battery starts dying on my camera the flash will still work but it will be significantly dimmer.
    How dark were the photos? Like completely black?

5. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Completely f'n' black. Lookin' at the display, it was as if the camera wasn't even on.

I even changed batteries—twice (I carry a minimum of four every time).

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Even in bright sunlight I want to say I shoot with a higher ISO to catch the action, but that still wouldn't account for your black problem I wouldn't think. Maybe it's the camera itself?

7. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

The most common cause of black frames from the Nikon D1 series cameras is a bad battery, but if you had the problem with several different batteries, I suppose that isn't the reason.

There could be a problem with the auto aperture mechanism in the lens, or with the connection between camera and lens, and it's shooting everything at f22. Try setting the f stop manually to 2.8, or whatever the lowest number is. Shoot a frame with no lens mounted. You should get a white frame. If it's still black, the problem is with the camera, and you'll need to send it in. Otherwise, the problem is with the lens. Try cleaning the contacts on the lens with a pencil eraser - if you're lucky, the problem is just dirty contacts.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Hey Cam

I think you're right. Last night, when all my work was done, I was tinkering with the lens and trying it on two different D1H. I think it's the lens, or lens connection.

More to come regarding this bizarre mystery!

Draft saved Draft deleted