1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More out in Allentown?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Keystone, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Which is very surprising because the powers that be took a lot of pride in their desk operation.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sent to me via PM:

Word from Allentown is long-time sports desk full-timers Ben Reese and Mark Perner were among terminations. Also, Tom Housenick, who went there in the last year-plus from Sunbury Daily Item SE position. They had been working on the universal desk that was formed during the last year. Tom's wife, Amanda Housenick, remains on as Phillies beat writer.
    Here's link to a blog about the layoff: www.bettycauler.com ... Note the error on the Housenicks.

3. horrifying

one guy gets the call on his honeymoon

some very talented, very dedicated people on that list

another once-great paper - and it really was terrific - throws in the towel

4. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

I thought Steve Miller was The Call's Phillies beat writer.

5. Notepad

Notepad Member

.....and Andre Williams still has a gig.

ridiculous.

6. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

Steve switched off the Phils beat this year, after his son was born. Good writer, good guy.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This is still quite a good paper for it being a Trib-run organization. What sucks is all the good bylines and behind the scenes staff that have been cut over the last year.

Is it worth it, Zell?

8. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

Thanks Mo. I know Mandy was angling for that beat for a while. I was hoping Steve wasn't one of the casualties. Good for him for having enough sense to step back and enjoy his newborn. A pro baseball beat can be life-sucking.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Don't knock Andre. He's a good guy with a good heart. He may not have the most talent but he busts his ass as much as anyone on that staff, maybe more. He brings something to the plate.

Draft saved Draft deleted