1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More out in Allentown?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Keystone, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Keystone

Keystone Member

On Sunday a colleague of mine said his wife was laid off from the Morning Call. He wasn't sure about anybody else.

Anybody hear anything? People seem to be more tight-lipped about this round than the last.

2. Sweet. Take out the whole family.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Are they closing all the factories down?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :(

4. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

I'm not sure.

But I can tell you that they'll spend their weekends on the jersey shore.

5. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

Yet ANOTHER whack at Allentown: http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-call-cuts-050109-cn,0,3696415.story

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Our greatest challenge -- making readers pay for online information -- has rarely been summarized so plainly or as well as this:

The Morning Call highlights the challenge. Its overall readership, a measure of both the company's print and online audience, grew 9.2 percent in the past year, according to figures released Monday by the Audit Bureau of Circulations.

That's the sixth-best annual audience gain in the country.

But the paper's daily print circulation, a measure of people paying for the newspaper, dropped 8.9 percent to 99,111 compared with a year ago.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

Pretty fucked up situation, especially if you took out a yearly pass for Dorney Park. The Morning Call was one of the better papers in the Keystone State. Now......

8. lohengrin

lohengrin Member

Please post any lists of names that become available.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Nope, just the newspapers.

10. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

Any word on the casualties? I've noticed some regular bylines missing in recent days. I always took this as a sign that someone was on vacation. But these days ...

11. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

All the writers on the sports staff were notified by e-mail today that they would not be cut.

12. MoeLarryCurly

MoeLarryCurly New Member

One of my friends there chimed in, sounds like most of the cuts came from the copy desk side....from what I understand, they are down to 10 or fewer on the copy desk now?

Draft saved Draft deleted