1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More newsworthy: Wooden's death or college conference restructuring

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm looking at papers devote 40 to 50 inches on Wooden, but maybe 15 on the college conference meetings going on. I'm probably in the minority, but I think readers probably care and will talk about the conference rumors more than they would talk about Wooden dying.

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

It's Wooden. He is the pinnacle of college basketball coaching. You can rehash all the conference crap over the next few weeks when things become concrete. Wooden is one of the, if not the, greatest coach in sports history. He deserves a lot of space.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

For now, Wooden's the bigger story. Clearly. But if we're talking about long-term impact, conference realignment will be the bigger deal.

4. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

It's also highly speculative at this stage with more guessing than hard data. Big 12 teams are getting passed around like flasks at an Aerosmith concert.

5. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Has the AP written a word about this?

If so, unless your paper is following the story, it's hard to make something newsworthy if said news is non-existent.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

AP has passed a couple of stories on the conference shell game.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Wooden. One of the major figures on the sports scene in our lifetime.

All the conference reshuffling right now is just that, talk. It's like building a house. Talk means nothing, but pouring concrete into the ground, that means something.

8. writingump

writingump Member

Wooden, because he's an iconic figure, regardless of what one might think about Sam Gilbert. I mean, the man has an award named after him (on which I vote) for a reason, and it's not because he was going to the Sweet 16 year after year.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is this even a serious question?
    Conference speculation and rumination versus the death of one of the biggest names in all of sports ever?
    Seriously?

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

There'll be plenty of time to blow out conference realignment. You take a day or two to give Wooden his honors, then you're done with him, space-wise. Besides which, no true news has occurred on realignment.

11. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Exactly. Wooden. No questions asked.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Today your first day on SportsJournalists.com?

Draft saved Draft deleted