1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Myspace fun

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

I don't know what was more disturbing ... the actual beating, or hearing one of the girls say "Just don't hit the shelves" while her co-defendent is administering a beating.

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I agree. I just had my first. She's six weeks old. And I've warned my wife spanking of my daughter is eminent. I got spankings, my wife got spankings, our siblings got spankings, my parents and her parents got spankings - hell, I got "the strap" in elementary school. And we all turned out fine. Three college degrees among four kids, all of whom have full-time jobs and some with kids of their own. On both sides, there are two parents, two kids, none of which ever divorced, smoked, had/have a criminal record, or some mother mental problem.

Spanking is all right in my books.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My family is much the same: solid citizens (except perhaps for me), no divorces, not spanked, don't spank. What's your point?

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Agreed, Dools. My sibs and I were never spanked. All of us have college degrees, two of us have advanced degrees. No divorces, no arrests. I'm the biggest the fuckup of the group, and that's just cause I haven't gotten married yet.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

(BTW, looks like I slipped a bit of fun with the quote function through).

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Fantabulous.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I land squarely on Inky's side on this one. It was a sad, sad day when America blurred the line between discipline and abuse. And they've blurred it to the point that the kids think they can scream abuse at the slightest provocation.

I got the belt myself, and when I did, I most definitely deserved it.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I've longed said that it wasn't the spanking that created the discipline, it was the threat of the spanking. All it took was one backhand and I knew what the reprocussions were gonna' be. Now, these kids have absolutely no threat of anything (ohh man, no guitar hero for a week. Ooooooh!) and it damn well shows.

9. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I agree. I love to receive a good spanking now and then. I don't know why they make a guy pay extra for that.

The father of one of the lookouts is upset that his son received the same charges as the girls. I think he should STFU.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

They won't get life. That's just the maximum punishment available. Remember. It wasn't just assault, it was kidnapping as well.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I read somewhere that their high school was built on land donated by two chemical companies, one of which used to make materials for nuclear weapons.

That might explain a lot.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I too was a spanked child. My mom used a friggin' yardstick. But spanking isn't the issue I think here. I think what some of us are trying to say is many parents are more wanting to be friends with kids instead of parents.

I don't care for spanking my kids. Maybe once in awhile. But what I've found out my kids have a serious fear factor in them. I have what I call the "Terminator look" and I have no problem getting in their face, talking like Vito Corleone and telling them to knock if off. Tears for Fears quickly start falling.

But the Creoles have quite a ways to go. The Terminator look won't fly when they're teenagers.

Draft saved Draft deleted