1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More MG News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I can't imagine that the ME or opinion editor would get the same pay if they moved to the universal desk or took a reporter job. That would make them sitting targets for the next round of layoffs, wouldn't it? More power to them if that's the case, but I have my doubts.

Obviously, much luck to all y'all.

EDIT: Sounds like Paul already covered that.

2. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Actually, Mystery, your donkey would make a great metaphor for MG management.

3. thestatman

thestatman Member

Eh, yes, thanks for pointing that out. If a reporter is "rehired," he/she keeps the same pay. No clue on what the impact would be on an editor that is brought back as a reporter. And yes Mystery Meat, they would be sitting ducks for the next round of layoffs, which could come in the fourth quarter after the next six furlough days are taken.

Hahaha... who am I kidding? Those lucky enough to stay still have to take the remaining six furlough days during the next two quarters. So, already facing a possible paycut if what was overheard is inaccurate, there are the dreaded furlough days that are still outstanding. Great.

4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Wonder how much he'll rake in with his retirement plan?

5. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

[​IMG]

Black Knight: Hey, what's your fat ass doing here?
    MYSTERY MEAT: He's my only means of conveyance. But I guess I do spoil him.
    Black Knight: Clearly you do. And what are you doing here, Griffin? I thought I told you never to show your face here again!

6. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Keep in mind, Statman, that I received this lovely news while I was in the office on my furlough day. How's that for irony???

7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Don't want to know. Met the guy twice and was introduced both times. Our SE has been there waaaayyyyy longer than I have, yet every time he'd still get introduced to ol' Graham.

My last dealing with him - and it was hardly peer to peer - was when we relaunched in the fall. He really liked the look of the paper, but...

He couldn't understand why we were covering the Redskins (whose stadium is 15 miles from my house and whose headquarters are 25 miles, making them closer than some high schools we cover). So I'm told he called Donna Reed. She didn't know. So our EE got involved. I don't know... we cover them because they're far and away the most popular sports entity in the whole of our coverage area? In previous conversations with our EE, I was told that the concern over Redskins coverage was not 1) a money thing (see above); 2) a time thing (beyond prep football, I didn't do much else in the fall); 3) a readership thing (see above) or 4) a competency thing (since I made sincere efforts, when possible, to write something that the Post/Times/AP/Examiner wasn't going to have).

So that was the beginning of the end. Then it was up to me to seek out people from the county who went to the games and get their take on what happened. I tried, couldn't connect with anyone. And I made a real honest effort with it. So I knew it was a matter of time. Then, in January, we were told we would not be covering any DC pro sports in 2009. We could use AP, Richmond, blah blah blah...

I asked our EE whether she - or perhaps someone above her - was trying to say I was not a competent enough reporter and writer, since I had tried to distinguish our coverage from everyone else's. When they played St. Louis, the week after Linehan was fired, I got great quotes from Jansen, Samuels and Zorn on what it's like to be in a locker room where a midseason change is made. When possible, I tried to find my own way.

No no no, not at all, she said. It's just that our readers can get that info anywhere. I don't know if I banged my head off the table, but I should have.

So no more working the beat I enjoyed most. And, three weeks ago, no more writing for me period. When we had our round of layoffs, we let go of the ASE, who was our desk guy. I got picked as the person to pick up the desk. So no more doing what I enjoyed most period.

Yeah, I hope he enjoys his fucking retirement. And sorry that you unwittingly released this torrent.

8. Keystone

Keystone Member

This stinks.

I know a few people who are losing their jobs who have devoted their entire careers to the R&B. :mad:

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

If it is in newspaper stock, it could be a problem

10. JKelly12

JKelly12 Member

Not necessarily. With nine reporting jobs, three in sports and four on desk, plus the other positions, most people should theoretically be able to remain employed if they choose to do so. But it's certainly sad that, for example, a managing editor or an opinion page editor might have to consider doing some reporting or desk work. And there are desk people in Danville now who commute from Greensboro. Will they want to make a four-hour round trip to Lynchburg every day? I guess we'll see.

11. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

As a proud former of the R&B, I just want to express my condolences to those who are getting anally violated today.

I'm sure it doesn't help, but I'm hundreds of miles away thinking of you.

12. thestatman

thestatman Member

Bucknutty, your condolences are greatly appreciated and very true.

Draft saved Draft deleted