1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More MG News

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Mar 23, 2009.

1. hacksaw2828

hacksaw2828 Member

Yes look into the state jobs for sure. And yes, you are right in assuming they probably didn't check into the background. Well I know for a fact they did call 2 references but obviously I don't know what they dicussed. But from what I have seen from working in the state offices so far, I don't think they even know what the difference between those 2 words are, much less how to spell them. So I think using the word communications can help you do all kinds of jobs such as dispatch work etc. But is it a good idea to take that chance? It depends on what the applicant's financial situation is and how desperate he is getting. Right now, it seems like it's a dog eat dog world after Enron, Madoff and all the other crooks scammed us. So I guess if one little lie is going to keep a person from losing their house and lands them a job and a paycheck, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Yes, it's wrong. But in the end, is anything right anymore?

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

My degree is in communications, with a focus in journalism. I would think that allows me to put both on my resume, if I so desired. I can't be the only one.

3. DO NOT LIE on your resume. If you are caught, it will bite you in the ass.

If you have a degree in journalism -- you can tell, it's written right on your diploma in big letters -- that's what you put. There is always room to explain how you concentrated your degree studies or how your work experience broadened them. You have real-life work experience. That trumps a classroom.

You can embellish without lying, by using industry keywords, or by substituting a more clarifying term for jargon. For example: Who knows outside of a newsroom what a slot editor is? But if you can better explain the duties by changing it to something more understandable to a lay person, such as supervising desk editor, that's fine.

My God, didn't we learn anything from George O'Leary?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Man, as The Pipeline provider said, the hits keep coming:

April 17, 2009

Dear Fellow Employees:

Media General announced first-quarter results this morning. As expected, it was a difficult quarter. Although we have taken many steps to reduce expenses and maximize cash flow, our results require that we do more. The action we are taking today is related to the pension plan.

You will recall that service accruals for all of us who participate in the MG Advantage Retirement Plan were frozen at December 31, 2006. The retirement benefit continued to be based on participants’ final average earnings at his or her termination or retirement date. Of course, employees hired after December 31, 2006, were not eligible to participate in the pension plan.

The continued impact of the recession and the decline in the equities market now force us to base ultimate retirement benefits on final average earnings as of May 31 of this year. After that date, no participant will accumulate any further benefits based on either service or compensation. Each pension plan participant, upon retirement, will receive the full benefit that he or she had accumulated at the time the plan was frozen—May 31. This change will not affect the pension checks of current retirees.

While it is of little consolation, you probably know that many other companies in the United States, including several peer companies in the media industry, took this step long before we did. Private-sector pension plans similar to ours peaked at about 112,000 in the 1980s. Even then, only about one-third of American workers were covered under such plans. Today the number of such plans is well below 30,000 and the number of frozen plans continues to increase.

Instead of traditional pension plans, many companies have chosen to increase the benefits for their defined contribution plans, such as our MG Advantage 401(k) Plan. We are committed to restoring the Company match to our 401(k) plan, including the profit sharing contribution, as soon as Company performance allows. In addition, when the economy stabilizes, we will take a fresh look at our employee benefits and are prepared to take steps to strengthen those benefits that will be important to you at retirement.

By June 22, you will be able to use the Pension Calculator on theMeganet to calculate the amount of your individual retirement payment. The Employee Benefits Department has sent an official notice of this change to the pension plan to your home. Also, your Retiree Medical Savings Account will continue to accrue interest.

I am keenly aware of the impact this change will have on your retirement planning. I am sorry to have to take this action, but it is in our long-term best interests. The recession has caused us to take a number of steps with regard to compensation and benefits that we would have preferred not to take, including this one.

I know that employees have questions and concerns about the performance of the Company. This year, I’m starting a series of quarterly Webcasts for Media General employees that are tied to our earnings announcements. The first one will be held on Monday, April 20, at 10 a.m. ET. A link to the Webcast will be posted to theMeganet that morning. During the Webcast you will have the opportunity to email questions directly to me. Instructions for emailing questions will be provided when you log in to the Webcast.

Your hard work and support as we navigate through this unprecedented global economic turmoil are key contributors to our ultimate success. I am very grateful for your effectiveness and determination.

Yours sincerely,

Marshall N. Morton
    President and Chief Executive Officer

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Whatever Morton is smoking, I will break the rotation and pass.

6. wsreader

wsreader New Member

Media General cuts 300 jobs

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/apr/17/media-general-posts-wider-first-quarter-loss-cuts-/

7. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

Those aren't new cuts, according to that story -- they were the ones that went down last month

8. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

NEW YORK (AP) — Newspaper publisher and TV station owner Media General reported a wider first-quarter loss Friday on a deepening slide in advertising revenue.
    The Richmond, Va., company also said it cut its work force by nearly 300 jobs in the week of March 31 and plans to freeze its pension plan at the end of May.
    Its shares fell 33 cents, or 11.1 percent, to $2.64 in morning trading.
    The publisher of the Richmond Times-Dispatch and The Tampa Tribune lost $21.3 million, or 96 cents per share, in January-March period, compared to a loss of $20.3 million, or 92 cents per share, a year earlier.
    The company said its loss in the most recent quarter included severance costs of $4.5 million, or 20 cents per share.
    Revenue fell 18 percent to $159 million from $194.5 million a year ago.
    Classified advertising in Media General’s publishing unit was the worst hit, plunging 39 percent. Its broadcast properties saw a decline of 19 percent.
    Helping to offset the slump somewhat was a better performance from the company’s interactive media unit, which narrowed its operating loss to $1.1 million from $2.7 million a year ago and grew sales by 25 percent.
    A 14 percent cut in operating expenses also helped results; Media General recently suspended its 401(k) match, imposed 10-day unpaid furloughs across the company beginning in the first quarter and suspended dividend payments.
    The company operatess more than 20 daily newspapers and 19 television stations.

9. doug_funnie

doug_funnie New Member

Probably doesn't even include the open positions that were eliminated during the purging.

10. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Mine, too. Mass Communications is my actual degree.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Offered without comment:

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Glad to see those scrappy MG executives have found a way to increase profits 20 percent.[/bluefont]

Draft saved Draft deleted