1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Le Batard hijinks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 7, 2014.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

When he writes in the mag (if he still does, haven't read it in a while) is he a journalist then? Only because the guy writing in the mag seemed a lot like the same clown on TV and radio.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . except the U, which Cannot Be Criticized by Those Who Cannot Understand It's Utter Inviolate Gloriousness . . .

Gag.

What a hack.

Epic. Hack.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

You mean people couldn't figure out he wasn't serious, then when he was mock-serious, people sided with him, and the joke was on their misplaced opinion?

Spare me that level of Glenn Beckian horseplay.

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

The popular feeling in Miami is that the radio station paid for the billboards, but DLB is taking the full blame for it to make sure nobody else gets into trouble.

It's a publicity stunt. There's part of me that says, "Well, he knows better and shouldn't have done it." but there's also a smaller part of me, that says, "What's the big deal here?"

I wonder if LeBron or maybe someone at the NBA got pissed and that's what caused ESPN to react.

5. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I wish this thread had been available so I didn't have to make this argument on behalf of Stephen A. on the Ray Rice thread. That didn't go over quite as well. What SAS said was ridiculous and ignorant, but it's what they encourage these guys to do. And I agree that this was a publicity stunt for his radio show and did not warrant the punishment. Just a silly reaction, though it very well could have been ESPN trying to appease LeBron.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Nothing new and although it may be inconsistent, it's understandable. It goes back to Howard Stern, Opie and Anthony, etc. When those guys were on FM radio, their bosses loved when they were controversial if it brought ratings. But if they brought some heat from the FCC or angered sponsors enough to pull ads their bosses turned on them.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

All the Bizarro World sports media types promoted by the WWL -- Le Batard, SAS, Skippy, Woody Paige in his day -- are like a B-movie casting director's idea of what sportswriters should or would be. They are the least relevant voices they have there, not respected by their peers, never mind the audience. I only hope they all arrive at the studio in Bristol together in a teensy-weensy car and then pile out like the clowns they are.

Draft saved Draft deleted