1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Le Batard hijinks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Aug 7, 2014.

1. There is no question Dan has a lot of disposable income. He could have used that money on pointless luxury goods and you would have never known about it. Instead, he spent the money on these billboards (six of them!) that he knew would get under the craw of humorless people who take sports too seriously. It's certainly not more noble than donating the money to charity, but I enjoy his spirit of getting under the skin of people who neither know his shtick, take the time to research his actual views on the subject, nor do they actually realize how ridiculous it is to burn jerseys or wish physical harm on LeBron for his perfectly understandable career decisions. Whether or not you respect Dan's routine, he's unquestionably one of the sanest people in the business and I enjoy his success and how it irritates so many people.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It was a joke. Taking this seriously, as ESPN did, is an overreaction. Take a deep breath, it will be OK.

3. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I guess I don't understand why this was a problem at all. LeBatard is purely a commentator, so there's no "objectivity" issue. It was sarcastic but not offensive. If he did a long rant on ESPN radio on the same subject, it would be lauded. It's the height of subtlety compared to some of his co-workers' baloney.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

LeBatard is having a ball and making a ton of money. And not doing anyone any harm.

All of us should be so screwed up.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Lebatard takes sports with the levity it should be taken, he doesn't take himself so seriously like so many others do.

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I'll chime in and say I too find his perspective refreshing. His show the week of LeBron's departure was like performance art, pointing out the hypocrisy and luncacy all sides showed about where one man chose to go to work.

7. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

He has a lot of disposable income but $90K for an ad in the paper?

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Oh, he takes himself seriously.

When people try hard in life to make sure you know they think most things are a farce, they're a lot more wound up than they'd have you believe.

The most self-serious writers in the business work at Deadspin.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I'll jump on the pile that wonders what the big deal is here. Just don't see where that reaction from the 4 letter behemoth was warranted.

Only rationale I can surmise is it's a big smooch on the backside cheeks to LeBron, if not a true King slurp job.

10. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I think this is spot on. Of all the yapping heads on sports radio I enjoy Lebatard the most. His show is a fun listen. Count me in as one of the people who did not see what the big deal was.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Perhaps he expensed it, which is why the WWL came down.

12. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

$90,000 for a full-page ad sounds outrageously high. I doubt that it's accurate. More like $9,000. Maybe.

Draft saved Draft deleted