1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More (internal) OSU football fallout?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 15, 2011.

1. Didn't see this anywhere yet ...
    Apparently Jim Tressel has forced football spokeswoman Shelly Poe out and into the bowels of OSU sports.

Wonder what gives?
    Poe did a pretty good job at WVU. I read somewhere she and Tressel had been at odds for a little while now.
    Tressel's in hot water, along with the entire program and they boot a HOF SID into one of the least interesting sports in athletic department? Whoa.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Evil... Thy Name Is Jim Tressel.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Maybe she didn't want to be tarred with the Tressel brush.

4. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

She was probably doing her job trying to protect the image of the institution and that presented a conflict with protecting Tressel's image.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Almost all the big-wheel football coaches want a separate public-relations flunky under their own personal control, working only theoretically under the umbrella of the university's sports information department.

That way if there's ever an NCAA investigation/job-jumping media feeding frenzy, they have a PR mouthpiece working for THEM, not the university.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

A little backgrounder from Brooks:
    http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/tag/jerry_emig

I'd forgotten about that Richard Lewis thing.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

yep. Poe didn't go along with her flunky role with sufficient deference for Tressel, so now he's bringing in a stooge who will.

Very very shortly, somebody higher up in the food chain -- if there is such a person -- is going to have to decide who is running the university.

8. Point of Order

Good stuff. Hopefully she'll be back on football and Tressell will be fired by August.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I always bristle at that Pryor kind of thing — a PR person saying "so-and-so will not answer questions about..." and then getting in someone's face if they ask about it. Hey, pal: If they're not going to answer questions about it, let them not answer. That in no way means (nor should it) "thou shalt not ask about..."

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

This is beyond stunning. Shelly is outstanding, phenomenal, tremendous...all those adjectives put together. And Jerry? Well, he's not the worst I have ever worked with, but he will have to work his butt off for a lot of years to even approach Shelly Poe. WTF is going on in Columbus???

11. Point of Order

This is the main thing that 99.99% of the SID populace does not understand. I say this as someone who came up through the SID office at my school and whose first job after college was in an SID. I did not get this at all -- COULD NOT COMPREHEND IT -- until I left the office and began covering the beat.

12. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

You never know.

After the last six months of dealing with football, maybe she WANTED this.

Draft saved Draft deleted