1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Impressive: 600 HR or 3000 hits

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by OklahomaSports, Aug 16, 2011.

1. OklahomaSports

OklahomaSports New Member

I saw this topic on 1st and 10 this morning and I thought it would be a cool thing to discuss on here.

Personally, I think it's 600 HR. Yes I know 3 of the 8 guys in the club were roided, but The fact is, it's 8 guys in this club. 5 legitimate, which in my mind, makes it that much more impressive versus the 3000 hit club which has nearly 30 members. My two cents

2. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

As a Jeter aficionado I should probably say 3000 hits but I am more in awe of 600 homers. Reason being, I think Jeter has a long ways to go before he's done (he'll finish with 3700 at least, it all depends on whether he wants to make a run at Rose's hit record).

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

Yeah, I'd say a run at Rose is a huge stretch for Jeter. After this three-year contract, he'll have maybe 3,400-3,450 hits. And that's if he stays a starter.

Both 600 HRs and 3,000 hits are impressive, but 600 homers is a ton. Averaging 30 homers per year over 20 years is tougher than averaging 150 hits over 20 years.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think even with the steroid era, 600 HR is the bigger accomplishment.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Screw 3,000 hits, I really cannot wait for the next guy to have 4500 hits and walks!!!

Seriously, 600 dingers. F steriods for screwing up baseball.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/TOB_career.shtml

That's a 17-man club. If only Pete had known we'd someday care about this stat, he probably could have held on to make it to 6000.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

RickStain & BYH return the same week!

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

For $79, I'm sure he'd sign "Mr. 5929" on a ball.

Oh, and Jeter has only a slightly better chance as catching Rose as I do.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'm not a fan of these discussions. they're both pretty darn impressive. 8)

but simply based upon the number of players to reach those heights, you'd have to say 600 is 'more' impressive. what the point is i have yet to figure.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Considering that there are 28 players with 3,000 hits and only eight with 600 home runs, I'd say this is one them there self-evident truths.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The 3,000/600 CLUB:
    Aaron
    Mays

3,000/700 CLUB
    Aaron

Draft saved Draft deleted