1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More hilarity from The Onion

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by friend of a friend, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm a viking.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

For me, it's the pure genius of T. Herman Zweibel.

http://www.theonion.com/content/topics/T._Herman_Zweibel

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I have a T-shirt with that front page printed on the front. I have to be very careful where I wear it.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

somehow i thought cindybj would show up.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

cindy probably thinks Mao personally walked on the moon 20 years earlier. We're just suckers for believing Western media.

6. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

To me, the absolute highlight is the headline for Dec. 7, 1941.

It reads "Wa-" (headline continued on page XX).

I laughed and laughed when I saw it, spent 10 minutes explaining the joke to my girlfriend once I recovered, then started laughing again. I don't think that's why she broke up with me a week later, but screw it. It's a great page in a great book of humor.

The headline for man walking on the moon was great, too.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Bunch of friends got another a shirt with the moon-landing story printed on it during college.
    Dude was severely wasted, and although the story was hilarious, watching him trying to crank that out was even better. He was half-laughing, half spitting up beer while he read it at the 'Berg. One of the few times in life I seriously thought was was going to wet myself with laughter.

8. LWillhite

LWillhite Member

You post it every time, I read it every time.
    Bless you.

Not to spoil the ending, but am I the only one who envisions The Grapist bellowing, "Oh, yeahhhhh!" as he does his thing?

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

This one, done after Jordan returned to the Bulls following his first retirement, is an all-time favorite.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/50097

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

And, sadly, a lot of us could sympathize with this one:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/32607

11. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

They do have the biggest typesetting in all the land.

From the same page:
    "French Surrender After Valiant Ten-Minute Struggle"
    "French Citizenry Welcome German Conquerors: 'We Kept Your Rooms Just the Way You Left Them'"

(By the way, that page is from when WWII broke out, not Pearl Harbor.)

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I ran up to my roofdeck on 9/11/01 and watched the first building burning. What was happening dawned on me as the second plane glided in from the south as one of my neighbors screamed, "oh no, oh no" over and over again. I just stood there and stared until the buildings tumbled, and I watched helplessly until the air became so thick that we needed to be indoors with the windows closed because it was too hard to breathe.

For weeks, I was despondent. No hyperbole in that statement. Getting word of people I knew who had died, this feeling of despair in the air; I had a sunken feeling I couldn't shake and it was a day after day thing for a while.

It actually spurred me to volunteer for months afterward with a dedication I never thought I'd have for a voluntary activity. I did it like a zombie at first, even though it eventually turned into something of a social activity when life started to go on.

I remember getting my first issue of the New Yorker afterward with the black cover and how bummed out it made me feel. I remember the days of turning on the TV to just cringe at the video footage being played over and over again while pundits talked in somber tones.

There were vigils across the street from where I live every day and for a few months everyone I saw had a glassy-eyed look. When I look back someday, I will probably reflect that it was the saddest period of my life.

A week after 9/11, though, I saw these two Onion stories:

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/38673

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28151

I don't want to overstate the effect they had on me, because I was incredibly shaken for a long time. But they brought out the first serious laughs I had after those planes hit, and I normally laugh a lot. I'll laugh at anything, including things most people find inappropriate.

When I read the Onion's treatment of 9/11, more than anything else before or immediately afterward, I knew that life was going to go on and that things would return to a relative sense of normalcy eventually.

Draft saved Draft deleted