1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MORE help for class - UPDATED with more begging

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Sep 3, 2008.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Re: MORE help for class

It was the illuminated ticker that ran around the Times building at about the level of the third floor. Not sure what year it went up, but it's been there for generations. There's a relatively new, high-tech version of one across the street on the front of the ABC/GMA studio as well. And there's that big-screen Reuters streaming news panel just down the block - faster than a chalkboard, certainly, but proof that everything old is new again. Just a thought.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

A good one, thanks.

I have a variety of pix now, thanks for all the help. Still one out there that sticks in my mind that I haven't found yet.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you are adverse to using DVDs and all the copyright BS I understand, but the scene in Eight Men Out where the gambler stays to hear the pitcher hit the first batter with a pitch would be pretty good.

In fact, Eight Men Out probably has a few scenes in it that shows the old way of listening to a game.

There is a scene in Bull Durham where the girl is relaying the information to the broadcaster who smacks to sticks together to make you fell like you are at the game.

In Ken Burns' Baseball I am sure there is tons of material. I am thinking about the writer describing how America followed the 56-game hit streak of Joe D.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

http://www.floridamemory.com/PhotographicCollection/photo_exhibits/images/baseball/rc10743_.jpg

[​IMG]

http://toto.lib.unca.edu/findingaids/photo/ball/jpeg/ball1802.jpg

[​IMG]

http://www.sandiegohistory.org/collections/sports/images/15747.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Joys of being on the West Coast means everyone gets first crack at a thread before you do. ;)

Y'all seem to have taken care of the best images on the 'Net. Only good one I can offer is a close-up of an actual scoreboard that was used for 1921 World Series updates at the First National Bank in Cuba, N.Y.

[​IMG]

93Devil makes a good point about the Arnold Rothstein scene before Game 1 in "Eight Men Out," where he shows up to watch the first pitch at a "World Series party." (Also, as a warning, there's another scene in "Eight Men Out" that you don't want to use, and that's when the kids are listening on the radio to the end of Game 6. That, of course, is Hollywood taking poetic license, since the first baseball game (World Series or otherwise) wasn't broadcast until 1921, and certainly not in popular use enough for kids to be listening in like that.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. badmoon

badmoon Member

Moddy--
    I never got an A in my life, and I'm not going to start now. Thanks for the offer, though.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

There's one in Burns's Baseball I can picture, but couldn't find on the net.
    One is on Page 118 of the hardbound accompaniment book and one is on 139

8. Moderator1

Great stuff, I really appreciate all the help.

9. azom

azom Member

I know this is probably WAY too late, but I'll add these from the 1912 World Series for future reference if anyone's interested:

http://www.shorpy.com/node/4734

http://www.shorpy.com/node/4733

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

That's an awesome vintage photography site, azom.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Just spent half an hour going through some of the Dorthea Lange & Walker Evans photos. Fabulous stuff

12. Moderator1

Great stuff, thanks. I will bookmark.

Today's plea for help: We're about to have a fun lesson on media f-ups. I will get time to search later but my friends here can help and save me time. I need:
    *A link to the Roasted Nuts.
    *A link to the "shitload of snow" cutline
    *Anyone have the "f your way to the top" classified that ran in the Columbia paper 20-some years ago?

Any other things along those lines would be much appreciated.

Thanks again for your help. This class has been tremendous fun. Last week, we did deadline reporting. They had to cover an event and file something no later than one hour after it finished. One student sent in his story at 10:30 from a high school football game. Next e-mail from him came at 3:30 a.m. OH MY GOD, I FORGOT THE SCORE. IT WAS XX_XX!

I laughed. He told me yesterday he suddenly shot up out of a sound sleep fearing he had indeed left out the score. Went to check and sure enough. I told I did that more times than I'd like to admit.

Draft saved Draft deleted