1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

more fun with brutal ledes.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by writing irish, Mar 7, 2008.

1. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

after that lede i wondered, "Where's the beef?"

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Your imaginary lede features the name of my high school. Creepy.

3. Pete Wevurski

Pete Wevurski Member

Don't know if this was done spitefully or just an oops, but ...

Local NBA beat writer is asked to fill in on coverage of the local WNBA team until a counterpart WNBA beat reporter can be found.

He covers the opening game. His lede goes something like this:

"Anyone who's watched a lot of NBA basketball, where they play above the rim a lot, will no doubt find the WNBA version different if not downright disappointing. Sort of like a banana split without the banana."

Thank god for a good copy desk.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

And for the record, Lincoln's address was not particularly well received when it was delivered.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Probably because of the shooting.

6. Sure, you make one mistake about one of the most important speeches in history and one of the most important assassinations in history and suddenly everyone is a comedian.
    I suppose next you'll get mad when I start my, "Did we surrender when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" speech.

7. doctor x

doctor x Member

BAD LEAD! Final score should always be first score mentioned.

Other than that...

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

I'd forget it if you were rolling.

9. Was I at least approaching rolling?
    Either way, I'm damn glad to meet you.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Juventus F.C. edged Liverpool F.C. 1-0 in the European Cup final, thanks to Michel Platini's score on a penalty kick at Heysel Stadium in Brussels.

Also, 39 fans died and 600 were injured when a stadium wall collapsed on them.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

If I were editing this lede I'm afraid I'd feel compelled to change "Lions" to "Tigers" for the sake of accuracy.

Of course, then, the designer wouldn't be able to use the cool cutout that he made of a Lion.

And some ungrateful parent would probably call the next day to point out that the school's mascot is the Lions and not the Tigers.

The managing editor would probably outlaw the mention of team mascots in ledes for at least the next six months.

12. digger

digger New Member

Did I work with you once? I think this exact scenario happened at my last job.

Draft saved Draft deleted