1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More fun in Tampa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by reformedhack, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

The newsroom doesn't "need help" -- it already gets help, from citizen journalism!

What they're trying to invent in Tampa, apparently, is citizen ad sales and citizen circulation sales. Don't get huffy just because the first citizens asked are the ones in the newsroom.

Some day, the man on the street will have a shot in that ticket lottery, too, if he does some ad or circulation worker's job for him!

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm almost desensitized to reading inane ideas like asking reporters to sell ads and everything else under the sun. We've read enough stories on this board about papers losing their mind and backbone. But if you're going to ask me to do this crap, Mr. Bossman, don't insult me with a chickensh*t lottery chance at Bucs ticket, which I'm not going to win and even if I did I'm not going to do cartwheels over since my job kind of entails enough sports, traffic and other bullcrap already. I'd rather play golf on my day off, thank you.

If I'm going to be your quasi-ad rep, offer me commission like your real ad reps. I'll still tell you to shove it, but at least respect you for making a reasonably stupid offer, instead of a completely stupid one.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's not that it's hard to sell it, it's that the powers-that-be don't give a crap because they believe that they need to gear all ads to well-to-do women that make all the buying decisions.

And presumably they would never, ever read the sports section.

4. EE94

EE94 Guest

selling into sporsts sections is difficult, enough so that ad reps don't waste their time doing it. Most are on commission and see no value in putting in hours for a sale likely not to go through
    they continually mine the same accounts, rather than chasing new business

5. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

As much as the extra work would suck, if our higher-ups said they need help selling ads and that we would receive commission in some form, there's something about having my fate in my own hands (rather than the hands of someone downstairs who doesn't know what I work on every day) that appeals to me.

6. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Word for word. Sell and ad, and you get in a fucking lottery?

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

They figure if we're stupid enough to go into this profession in the first place, then we're stupid enough to bite on a moronic offer like this.

8. Blue_Water

Blue_Water Member

Anyone that thinks that selling ads is easy, even forgetting the market we're in now, should do it for just one day.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Depends on the paper, I guess. St. Pete is finding time to print robust special sections on the World Series... haven't seen how many ads they're selling, but it must be good enough.

Like an earlier poster said, Tampa used to be such a good site and paper to visit. Now with the layoffs and the inane ideas going through this place, St. Pete gets better by the day.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The guy constantly looking for "bootstrappers" is overjoyed his industry model is catching on in a large market.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And any idiot EE or ME who thinks working in sports is easy should do it for just one day.

12. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Still my favorite story about advertising departments. A fellow writer at my last paper asked a successful business owner in town why he bought an ad in the free weekly that gets tossed in the yard but didn't advertise in our daily G***e*t paper.

Business owner's reply?

"They asked."

Draft saved Draft deleted