1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More from Lean Dean

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Left_Coast, Nov 3, 2006.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What's the offer? If it's two weeks per year of service -- and I don't know if it is, I just know that's somewhat standard -- and you have 13 or more years in, wouldn't it be pretty good to lock in six months' pay? I always say this pre-supposing that people are looking for their exit strategies, but that sounds like an opportunity as much as anything else. And if you're so committed to the biz that you couldn't ever see yourself leaving voluntarily, God help you, but I don't think it's going to end well for you.

If this is some bullshit "buyout" that really isn't much of a buyout but is just a precursor to layoffs, then never mind.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It's Singleton.

He often doesn't seek to meet the "standard" for buyouts.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh I'm well aware of that history. Just asking what the terms are.

Also, though, is this still Singleton? I thought when they pushed him aside he was removed from decisions like this.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Well, the BANG newspapers are going to retain their mastheads, but Monday delivery is gone.

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/romenesko/151246/oakland-tribune-other-bang-papers-to-retain-mastheads-monday-home-delivery-ends/

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Reading this makes me want to spill out a whole long string of profanities.

6. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think this is going to start a trend. It is difficult to figure out what the circulation of a MediaNews paper is, given the corporate ability to game the circ statistics. So year to year comparisons are hard to make. But I think the industry will be looking at this closely and anticipate others moving that way, especially if Media News expands the practice to other papers.

7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Singleton already doing this in Detroit, of course, with the New (in concert with Gannett and Free Press).

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yeah - it's not like Raider fans know how to read anyway.

9. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

Raider fans will read the stories on their silver-and-black iPads.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

No more Monday papers for some in NoCal.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/06/media-news-group-monday-printing-deliveries_n_1132643.html?ref=media

No paper on Monday for The Vacaville Reporter, the Vallejo Times-Herald and the Eureka Times-Standard. No home delivery for the Oakland Tribune, the Fremont Argus and the Hayward Daily Review.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Yeah, who wants to read a sports section on a Monday anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted