1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More foods added to pet food recall?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Firstime Caller, Mar 30, 2007.

1. Sorry I don't have more details on this. I just turned on CNN as they were reporting the end of this story. All I caught was there were possibly more foods being added to the recall including Hill's Perscription Diet for Cats. Unfortunately, that's all I caught. I checked on CNN's web site and it only had a story about different scientists fighting over what the tainted ingrediant could be, no update on the recalled foods.

If anybody could find something on the wire or if anybody could add more to this, I'm sure the pet owners out there would appreciate it.

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Have they posted any of the brands that caused this? My cat died about a 6 weeks ago from kidney failure which is what the main disease is coming from all of this.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If you go to the company's Web site, they have the names of the recalled food.

Sorry about your kitty, 'gola!

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The new recall is for Hill's Pet Nutrition Prescription Diet M/D Feline dry cat food.

[​IMG]

Which, unfortunately, is what my 16 year old cat has been eating for years to control his diabetes. Thankfully, he's fine.. but he got tuna tonight.

5. Does anybody know if Hill's Perscription Canine I/D has been recalled? We went to In-N-Out Burger last night so we just got the dog a Flying Dutchman (meat and cheese,) but we can't keep doing that.

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Great, we give our dog Hill's Science Diet. Iknow it's not on teh list...yet. But who knows.I guess it's just boiled chicken for a while.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

There are some other dry foods recalled, but I can't recall what they are.

There's also a test online to determine how healthy your pet food actually is. We wrote a story about it this week. Everyone in the newsroom decided to get all-natural food from now on from a local natural pet food supplier.

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Del Monte Foods has confirmed that the melamine-tainted wheat gluten used in several of its recalled pet food products was supplied as a "food grade" additive, raising the likelihood that contaminated wheat gluten might have entered the human food supply.

"Yes, it is food grade," Del Monte spokesperson Melissa Murphy-Brown wrote in reply to an e-mail query. Del Monte issued a voluntary recall Saturday for several products under the Gravy Train, Jerky Treats, Pounce, Ol' Roy, Dollar General and Happy Trails brands.

Wheat gluten is sold in both "food grade" and "feed grade" varieties. Either may be used in pet food, but only "food grade" gluten may be used in the manufacture of products meant for human consumption. Published reports have thus far focused on tainted pet food, but if the gluten in question entered the human food supply through a major food products supplier and processor, it could potentially contaminate thousands of products and hundreds of millions of units nationwide.

Stephen F. Sundlof, director of the Food and Drug Administration's Center for Veterinary Medicine said the FDA is not aware of any contaminated gluten that went into human food but said he could not confirm this "with 100 percent certainty." Wheat gluten is a common food additive used as a thickener, dough conditioner, and meat substitute. It is widely used as an additive in commercial bakery items and special purpose flours.

The FDA announced today that it has traced the contaminated wheat gluten to a single processor, Xuzhou Anying Biological Technology of Peixian, China, but has not released the name of the U.S. distributor who supplied the product to Del Monte, Menu Foods, Nestle Purina, and Hills Nutritional. In all, more than 70 brands and over 60 million cans and pouches of dog and cat food are now part of this massive recall, as well as at least one brand of dry cat food.

9. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Yikes.

10. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Dog treats added to pet food recall 4/5/07

By ANDREW BRIDGES Associated Press Writer
    © 2007 The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — The recall of pet foods and treats contaminated with an industrial chemical expanded Thursday to include dog biscuits made by an Alabama company.

The Food and Drug Administration said Sunshine Mills Inc. is recalling dog biscuits made with imported Chinese wheat gluten. Testing has revealed the wheat gluten, a protein source, was contaminated with melamine, used to make plastics and other industrial products.

Also Thursday, Menu Foods, a major manufacturer of brand- and private-label wet pet foods expanded its original recall to include a broader range of dates, the FDA said. Menu Foods was the first of at least six companies to recall pet foods and treats made with the contaminated ingredient.

The FDA knows of no other pet product companies planning recalls, agency officials told reporters.

Sunshine, of Red Bay, Ala., sells pet foods and treats under its own brands as well as private labels sold by grocery, mass merchant and dollar stores, according to its Web site. A list of recalled products was not immediately available.

UPDATE:

WASHINGTON - The recall of pet foods and treats contaminated with an industrial chemical expanded Thursday to include dog biscuits made by an Alabama company and sold by Wal-Mart under the Ol‘Roy brand.

Sunshine Mills said it would post a complete list of the recalled dog biscuits on its Web site, http://www.sunshinemills.com/.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pity it didn't say when; no list on Sunshine Mills.

12. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Posted now:
    http://www.sunshinemills.com/press_release.html

Draft saved Draft deleted