1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More evidence that the NBA playoffs are more exciting than March Madness

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, May 2, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah. If she sees this, I am going to my room...

2. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

If I had to choose, I'd take March Madness over the NBA playoffs because in the tourney, every game is a Game 7. But I can certainly understand the other point of view.

However, if you don't think that Warriors-Mavs game was exciting, you're just impossible to please.

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

So if it's more predictable, it's better?

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

To a certain degree, yes.

But as I get older, I find myself rooting for people more than teams.

I root for Peyton Manning. I don't root for Pacman Jones. I root for Dwyane Wade. I don't root for Ron Artest.

And in college basketball, the only thing remotely constant is the coaches.

It would have been nice to see if Greg Oden & Co. could get over the hump at Ohio State.

But we'll never know now.

Next year it will be a whole new bunch of people wearing red and silver.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So who won?

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Actually it was a back-and-forth shootout. A 118-112 final with the lead changing hands several times in the 4th quarter qualifies, IMO. Facing elimination, the Mavs made up a nine-point deficit with 3 minutes to go, with Nowitzki finally stepping up and making some clutch 3s down the stretch. How is that not exciting? You can say the Warriors should have milked the clock, but that's not the way they play. If they had tried to slow it down, someone surely would have ripped them for getting away from what they do best. True, it ended with free throws, but there were 47 minutes of entertaining ball before that.

Great game, great series. Perfect answer to the NBA-haters who haven't noticed that the league isn't Knicks-Heat style grind-it-out sludgeball anymore.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

It was a 9-point lead with 3 1/2 left, not 2 1/2. What did you want the Warriors to do, run the four corners? One of their supposedly rushed shots was a layup that Nowitzki blocked from behind. Was that a bad shot? Dallas won because they finally had the good sense to double Baron Davis down the stretch and force someone else to initiate the offense and Nowitzki finally played like an MVP. Don't know how any basketball fan could watch that game and not be entertained.

8. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

No it's better because the quality of player and teams were better. George Mason was great and all but it was proof of a terrible crop of "top" college teams more than anything else. I've said it before but this year's best mid-major, Southern Illinois, would've beaten last year's George Mason team by 20.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Sometimes stupid is very exciting.

Michigan's defense against Kordell Stewart in 1994? Stupid. Exciting game, though.

Chris Webber's timeout against North Carolina? Stupid. Exciting game, though.

Leon Lett's premature celebration against the Bills? Stupid. Exciting play, though.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Stupid is as stupid does...

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The second-most demented statement relating to the NBA I've read this season, exceeded only by the Kobe's-better-than-MJ argument.

12. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Um, why? You really think George Mason are a better basketball team than the Phoenix Suns?

Draft saved Draft deleted