1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More cuts in Atlanta

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HackyMcHack, Mar 25, 2009.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

These days, this is a fairly common way to handle such things, actually. And it's becoming more common all the time.

Think the companies prefer it as it gives the employee less, and a less-than-ideal, chance to ask questions, and probably also cuts down on possible scenes, problems and the perceived need for security, etc...

Of course, it is, no doubt, easier on the person doing the letting go to not have to look at the person being let go...But, I think the other stuff is more the reason for this.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Never know when one of the part timers is going to go postal.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

You know, I guess it's so obvious that it's stupid to say it, but not only does it completely suck for the part-timers, but my experience over the years is that the good ones in that role do a lot of the important lifting for any good sports section, and if they're gone, somebody else is going to have to do it in addition to what they do already -- and that's not going to be fun for them at all.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The county cuts are an interesting list, too: Barrow, Bibb, Clarke, Houston, Monroe, Oconee and Putnam. I'm truly surprised they were still distributing in a place like Putnam County, and I doubt they were selling a particularly large quantity of papers in Macon. But Barrow County has been growing like a weed, mostly from people pushing out of Gwinnett County.

And it's going to annoy Conrad Fink that he can't make his students subscribe to the AJC anymore.

5. This one REALLY surprises me. Hell, football Saturday's alone (even just 5 or 6 of them a year) ought to make it worth their while to have a presence in Athens.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

DING. Ding. ding.

7. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Pulling out of Athens, Macon, Warner Robins and the Lake Oconee area ... wow.

If my math is correct, based on Monroe County getting whacked, this will mean the AJC's southern distribution area will only extend 35 miles south of the perimeter. For a paper available daily in Florida until only a couple of years ago, that's a mighty big retrenchment.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Six. Always six. At least. :D

I wonder if they'll truck a bunch of papers up there on football weekends. That would make some sense, so I can't imagine they will.

But damn, it wasn't that long ago that the AJC was distributed in every single county in Georgia and a good number more in surrounding states. Covers Dixie Like The Dew my ass.

9. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Covers Georgia Like a G-String.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Covers Dixie Like The Snow.

11. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Covers Dixie Like the Don't.

12. KG

KG Active Member

Don't give them any ideas. The day after the election and the day after the inauguration, they made the home delivery managers hawk papers on the side of the road without pay. However, the one that sold the most got something stupid like a $10 gift card or something like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted